Question Good substrate for Tire Track Eel?

welkerville

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This may be a pretty stupid question, but I want to add a Tire Track Eel to one of my aquariums this is the type of gravel I'm using in the aquarium. I know they like to burrow, but may a juvenile be able to burrow in that gravel?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That substrate looks a bit rough for me. Plenty of people seem to have eels on gravel just fine, but I'd switch to sand personally as it would be easier on its body. With that said I think CaptainAquatics has his on gravel and they are fine. Give it some caves and tubes etc.

How big is the tank? They can get 20-30 inches though, up to 36 in the wild. Some websites say 55 to 75 gals is enough, but looking at forums the general consensus seems to be 125 to 150 gal minimum. Nothing smaller than 100.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Feohw said:
That substrate looks a bit rough for me. Plenty of people seem to have eels on gravel just fine, but I'd switch to sand personally as it would be easier on its body. With that said I think CaptainAquatics has his on gravel and they are fine. Give it some caves and tubes etc.

How big is the tank? They can get 20-30 inches though, up to 36 in the wild. Some websites say 55 to 75 gals is enough, but looking at forums the general consensus seems to be 125 to 150 gal minimum. Nothing smaller than 100.
Yes I have my eel on gravel. He seems to do ok but he doesn’t burrow much (likely to do with the gravel being a bit round). In order to make them feel safe on gavel you HAVE TO HAVE some places the eel can wiggle himself into that the other fish can’t get to or just a large intricate cave. Honestly sand is better for them but it is doable on gravel. Also yes they get big so what size tank do you have. They are also masters of escape so make sure you have a super tight lid with NO HOLES! I once had a tire track eels jump out and die and the lid was wire screen with maybe one hole (for the filter) with 4 blocks of wood holding it down and he got out and died. My current one is in a biocube and does fine so use biocube lids as a reference on what I mean. Also if they go missing check the floor (obviously), but they love going into filtration systems. Hope this helps :)

EDIT: here is a photo of the tank my eel is in (also I plan to upgrade him to a 130 gallon soon):
He seems to like this. (Tank was a bit foggy because this was taken after a large waterchange)

OP
welkerville

welkerville

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feohw said:

I'm getting a juvenile and planning on setting up a monster 300 within the year, he'll be moved there once I have it set up. Thank you!

OP
welkerville

welkerville

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CaptainAquatics said:
Yes I have my eel on gravel. He seems to do ok but he doesn’t burrow much (likely to do with the gravel being a bit round). In order to make them feel safe on gavel you HAVE TO HAVE some places the eel can wiggle himself into that the other fish can’t get to or just a large intricate cave. Honestly sand is better for them but it is doable on gravel. Also yes they get big so what size tank do you have. They are also masters of escape so make sure you have a super tight lid with NO HOLES! I once had a tire track eels jump out and die and the lid was wire screen with maybe one hole (for the filter) with 4 blocks of wood holding it down and he got out and died. My current one is in a biocube and does fine so use biocube lids as a reference on what I mean. Also if they go missing check the floor (obviously), but they love going into filtration systems. Hope this helps :)

EDIT: here is a photo of the tank my eel is in (also I plan to upgrade him to a 130 gallon soon)
He seems to like this. (Tank was a bit foggy because this was taken after a large waterchange)
Thank you! He'll have many places to hide, but I may get a bit more just to be safe. I'm upgrading him to a monster 300 before the end of the year, so he'll do great the time he's in a 75. I appreciate it!

New Threads