Good substrate for raising Java Fern

1. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I just put a couple Java Ferns into a tank at my grandmothers house. The plants have a lot of "starts" growing off of them and I am thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank set up just to start harvesting some of these to put into the 120 g I am going to start after new years. I was thinking sand my be better so the roots won't get attached to something and then I have to pull them out in a month or two. The two I got at LFS still have bunches of gravel from the tank they came from that the roots are holding on to. I tied them to some drift wood. What would be the best way to plant and raise a bunch of small java ferns that I could use in a few months?
    I was thinking about attaching some type of small weight to them and just holding them down to the substrate.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

java fern will grow anywhere you can weigh it down..and its easy to move no matter what subtrate...you can even attach it to a decoration with some fishing line or an elastic ;)

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Java Fern will not grow well if planted in a substrate...it grows by rhyzomes (thick roots) that need to be in the water layer, not planted. The main growing root should remain on or above the substrate. Yes just weighting it down will work.

You can grow it subtrates IF you can get the little hairy looking roots into the substrate(very hard to get the plant to stay.), but NOT bury the large root that the plants are growing from. If the rhyzome get buried too deeply it will rot.

Yes it is much easier to attach it to driftwood or porus rocks and even clay pots.

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I just didn't know how hard it was on the plant once it attached to wood or a rock to pull it off. Like I said the 2 I bought were pulled out of some gravel and the roots were all stuck to the gravel and it came home with me. I wasn't sure how good of a grip the roots got.

5. Jark Initiate Member

The ones I have don't realy get into the gravel much even when the roots reach. If you attach it to small rocks and wood you can just transfer that with it if you move them to a new tank later. Or just pull them off. As long as the rhyzome isn't damaged it will come back.