Good Starter Number Of Rcs In A 29 Gallon?

AbrielleRose

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have another shrimp question. What is a good number of RCS to start out with in a planted 29 gallon? I'm doing all nano sized fish in this tank. Endlers, Glowlight Danios, not glowfish, and 2 guppies. The guppies will be the biggest residents in this tank. I've put in a few hiding spots for the shrimplets so they hopefully won't get munched on. But I'm unsure of how many shrimp I should start out with. They will be going into a newly cycled tank.

HappiestCamper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Depends on your level of patience. I am super cheap so I started with 6 because thats already like 25-30 dollars.

Ten would have been a better starting number to up the chances of a good m/f ratio. So i might add some more later !

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you are adding them to a 29 gallon, I would start with 20. Would be a good diverse base to start a colony. At bare minimum I would get 10, or they may have trouble finding each other for mating and other shenanigans. Here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with shrimp...

Freshwater Shrimp Keeping

AbrielleRose

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since you are adding them to a 29 gallon, I would start with 20. Would be a good diverse base to start a colony. At bare minimum I would get 10, or they may have trouble finding each other for mating and other shenanigans. Here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with shrimp...

Freshwater Shrimp Keeping
Thank you. I really appreciate the added article.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 30 gallon long with about 8 RCS. Three of those are definitely females and two of those are berried.

Your shrimp will find each other and mate, this is an absolute non-issue in a 29 gallon tank. The female molts and releases pheromones which is how the males find her.
I bet even if you only put two RCS in there (being 100% sure that one is male and one is female, both sexually mature) you'll end up with a berried female.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
20 is good, I have a 2.6 gallon and I'll be starting with 10 (bit overkill, but just to make shipping and the entire process worthwhile) so really anything you choose will work. Less = slower colony growth, more = faster growth.

bettafanatic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go on eBay you can find people selling rcs cheap. I bought 25 for like $20. I now have over 100 in my 10g rcs only tank and they are still breeding. I also took about 50 out and put them in my 55g heavily planted tank. They breed like mad!!! I bought mine approx 6 months ago.

Bmur05

Valued Member
Reaction score
As long as you have plenty of hiding spots, they will multiply very quickly. Java Moss is the easiest plant to add a safety area for them! They love it and it grows very quickly

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom