Good Starter Number Of Rcs In A 29 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by AbrielleRose, Apr 18, 2017.

1. A

AbrielleRose New Member Member

I have another shrimp question. What is a good number of RCS to start out with in a planted 29 gallon? I'm doing all nano sized fish in this tank. Endlers, Glowlight Danios, not glowfish, and 2 guppies. The guppies will be the biggest residents in this tank. I've put in a few hiding spots for the shrimplets so they hopefully won't get munched on. But I'm unsure of how many shrimp I should start out with. They will be going into a newly cycled tank.

2. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper Well Known Member Member

Depends on your level of patience. I am super cheap so I started with 6 because thats already like 25-30 dollars.

Ten would have been a better starting number to up the chances of a good m/f ratio. So i might add some more later !

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Since you are adding them to a 29 gallon, I would start with 20. Would be a good diverse base to start a colony. At bare minimum I would get 10, or they may have trouble finding each other for mating and other shenanigans. Here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with shrimp...

Freshwater Shrimp Keeping

4. OP
    OP
    A

AbrielleRose New Member Member

Thank you. I really appreciate the added article.

5. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

I have a 30 gallon long with about 8 RCS. Three of those are definitely females and two of those are berried.

Your shrimp will find each other and mate, this is an absolute non-issue in a 29 gallon tank. The female molts and releases pheromones which is how the males find her.
    I bet even if you only put two RCS in there (being 100% sure that one is male and one is female, both sexually mature) you'll end up with a berried female.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

20 is good, I have a 2.6 gallon and I'll be starting with 10 (bit overkill, but just to make shipping and the entire process worthwhile) so really anything you choose will work. Less = slower colony growth, more = faster growth.

7. bettafanatic

bettafanatic Well Known Member Member

If you go on eBay you can find people selling rcs cheap. I bought 25 for like $20. I now have over 100 in my 10g rcs only tank and they are still breeding. I also took about 50 out and put them in my 55g heavily planted tank. They breed like mad!!! I bought mine approx 6 months ago.

8. Bmur05

Bmur05 Valued Member Member

As long as you have plenty of hiding spots, they will multiply very quickly. Java Moss is the easiest plant to add a safety area for them! They love it and it grows very quickly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice