Good sized community fish

1. Damo2439 Initiate Member

My tank is coming along quite nice at the moment but I want a decent sized fish that will get along well with my current stock in my community tank, I currently have 10 cory's, 6 glass catfish, 6 oto's, 4 male guppies and 2 bamboo shrimp in my fully cycled 6 month old 40 gallon tank, any suggestions? Tia

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

If I were you, the first thing I would do is up the size of the ghost cat school :) The bigger the school, the cooler they look IMO. I LOVE those fish. Good choice!!

As for the "good sized community fish"...I have kept angels with my ghost cats and cories with no problems. But I don't know if a large adult angel might be a danger to the shrimp and guppies.....

Have you looked at any types of Gouramis? I have no experience with them, but people often suggest them as centerpiece fish in more peaceful tanks....

Angels are my personal favorite!!

3. annaberg1067 Member Member

You could do a smaller sized pleco, like a bristlenose. Those get a descent size and they wont bother any fish unless there are other types of plecos in there. I also really love red tail sharks. Those can get to be a good 5 inches. They are semi aggressive but if you add in a small one very soon, he should be fine. Just make sure you don't put any type of other shark in there with it. My other favorite fish are loaches. You might be able to do a few smaller varieties like the kuhlis which are my all time favorite. You would have to get a school of 6 or more for them to be happy and come out during the day though. They will not eat the shrimp, AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT TINY ENOUGH TO FIT IN THE LOACHES MOUTH!! As mentioned above, you could do a gourami which can get to be like 4 inches but don't do more than one because they will fight. Hope this helps!

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I love angelfish and pearl gouramis. :) What kind of corys do you have? I think otos and glass cats need cooler water than angels and pearls though so maybe a dwarf gourami or 3-4 honey gouramis instead?

5. Damo2439 Initiate Member

i have no fear for my bamboo shrimp they are a good size now and have a few good hiding spots, so good that i dont see them most of the time lol its mainly the oto's i fear for, i did have a couple of opaline guarami's when i first started out which soon became aggressive when reaching their adult size so never really considered any more guarami's as i gathered they would instantly attack my little oto's, also im looking for something a bit unique as these will be my final additions.
    thanks for all your input so far guys :)

6. dffssdf Initiate Member

I have a beautiful gold gourami which plays nicely with everyone in my community. I would also advise you to look at Congo tetras. But looking at what you said I think congos would look great

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Pearls, honeys and moonlight gouramis are more peaceful than some of the other gourami species if you still wanted to consider them.

8. Damo2439 Initiate Member

thanks guys going to look into the gourami's as i love the almost cartoon character like arms (feelers) they have lol thanks all for your input and any other ideas are welcome as this is something im not rushing into