Good shrimp to add to 10 gallon

1. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

So I'm going to get a plant today for my 10 gallon (fully stocked)

whilst im im at the aquatics centre I also want to pick up a few shrimp!!

there is a little alge in my tank that they could munch on!!!

so what type would be good and would they need any others source of food apart from the algea??

thing

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Cherry shrimp are quite hardy & easy to keep, they will eat some algae & any food the fish don't eat.
    They need hiding places, & they love moss & fine leaved plants such as cabomba.
    What fish are in the tank as some will make a tasty snack out of shrimp especially the babies?

3. OP
    OP
    1thing

4. Coradee

Most of those fish will munch on shrimp especially in such a small tank, & tbh most of those fish are too big to be in a 10 gallon

5. OP
    OP
    1thing

Most????

which ones??

Plus I have seen many tanks with shrimp and DG's and they have been fine!!! Because they are a great community fish and don't bother anything!

thing

6. Coradee

Danios are fast swimmers & need space, a 3ft tank would be better for them, they should also be kept in groups.
    The peppered cory should be kept in groups of 6+ as they're a shoaling fish, they get to around 3" & are quite chunky fish they also need much cooler water than the gourami.
    The gourami really should be in a 20 gallon as do the platys.
    Most fish you see at Lfs are juveniles & nowhere near their adult size & the small tanks they're in are only temporary until they're sold but it gives a false impression that they can continue to live in small tanks when you get them home.
    It's a mistake probably all of us have made at some time, & sad to say Lfs don't always give the best advice.

7. OP
    OP
    1thing

Yes I know that the LFS don't give 100% correct info but I do also research and the internet also agrees that the DG is a good community fish I also agree as I have observed this in my tank!

and yes I know that fish grow this is why I accounted for that!

danino and cory are fine and I am planning an upgrade in tank size soon!

also peppered cory is fine at this temp!!

back to my original question if I have lots of hiding spots for the shrimp will they be ok?

Thing

8. Coradee

Dwarf gourami are good community fish I'm not disputing that, but 10 gallons is too small.
    The peppered cory might be fine at the moment but they can live 15-20 given the right conditions, keeping it at higher temps will shorten its lifespan.
    I believe I answered your original question, in such a small tank your shrimp will most likely end up as snacks

9. OP
    OP
    1thing

As I said I'm upgrading to a 20 soon!

and how much will it shorten it's life?

also are there a type of shrimp that are larger and won't end up as a snack??

thing

10. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Thing. You can add the shrimp to the tank if you want to. Coradee is offering the best advice that she can based off of the information you have given and what she and many others on this forum know about the fish you have listed.

If possible, upgrade to a 30+ soon and make sure you have full schools of danio, cory cats, and neons. The DG is a nice fish, it will do great with the other fish you have, and it should be fine when you upgrade the tank.

For the type of shrimp that can stay alive in the tank with your fish... well, it depends on your fish, how much you want to see the shrimp and how many hiding places are available. I had tried keeping red cherry shrimp with a very small fish, Sparkling Gouramis. I love my gouramis, but I no longer have shrimp. These fish only reach about 1-1.5 inches, but they killed every shrimp in the tank. Even though the tank is heavily planted, they would search for the shrimp and eat them.

Now, you may have seen gourami's and other fish kept with shrimp.. was this a video you watched? at a pet store? someone else's tank? If so, did you ask how often they replace the fish candy... I mean shrimp? We are not wanting to stop you from ever keeping shrimp, but you asked for the best advice and that is what is being offered. They are adorable and fun to watch. Maybe when you upgrade, you could convert the 10g tank into a shrimp habitat.

It is completely your choice. Your fish may be fine with the shrimp. I would suggest larger breeds of shrimp. Ghost/ glass shrimp get a little bigger, Amano shrimp may survive and are great at eating algae, possibly Bamboo shrimp, they are filter feeders though and may not eat much of your algae.

11. OP
    OP
    1thing

I wasn't complaining about the lack of help

but at the end you did answer my question so thanks!!

i will look out for em!

thing