Good setup? Question

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Jrobber, Apr 7, 2010.

1. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I am planning on finally restocking my tank soon and am wondering what your thoughts on this setup:

5 dalmation mollies (all female)
    3 swordtails (would like all males, but I don't know if that will work)
    1 dwarf gourami

The only fish I plan on keeping in my current setup is my pleco. I have a 29 gallon tank, so do you think this is a good, compatible setup?

2. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Swordtails and mollies should both be kept 1m to 2f. But if you are going one sex to prevent breeding, be careful because I think mollies and swordtails can interbreed.... and it doesn't turn out well.

3. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Some livebearers interbreed but I don't believe mollies and swordtails do. I tried a few male swordtails together a while ago in my 45g but it didn't work out. I ended up trading 2 of them for females because of the aggression. What kind of pleco are you keeping in there? Most of them except for maybe bristlenose species can easily outgrow a 29g.

4. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, the pleco is a bristlenose.

So, if I went with that setup, that would be a total of 10 fish, that wouldn't make my tank crowded would it?

I didn't know about interbreeding, thanks for pointing that out.

5. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

If you add them slowly, maybe over a couple of months, it should be fine. That way, every time you add more fish, the nitrogen cycle has time to catch up.

Livebearers get tricky - if you get all males, sometimes they can be aggressive. If you get all females, they can come from the store already impregnantes, and can store sperm for a few months. If you get the 1:2 ratio, look out, because you're going to end up with tons of babies. If you don't give the babies places to hide, most will get eaten by the grown-ups usually, but I know a couple of people on here still had problems with overpopulation.

6. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Ok, thanks. I was thinking of all female Mollies, maybe I'll stick with all female Swordtails too.

7. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I am assuming you want the male swords because they are so cool-looking. What would you think about getting only 1 male sword, and no females. You could leave the rest of your list as-is. Mollies get bigger than other livebearers anyway..

8. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, the only reason I like the male Swordtail is because they do look cool. :) Maybe 1 Swordtail will do.

The Mollies at the LFS are like 2-3 inches long already, but I am looking into getting some of the smaller ones. If they are bigger than a dwarf Gourami, do you think they will pick on it?

9. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't think so... *shrug*
    I would think, in fact, that the DG would go in last. Wait for someone else to address this, though, since I am not sure about it.

I know the swords and mollies can't interbreed, but maybe the swords would try... then that would take care of aggression issues between them anyway.

edit: :shock: This is my 3000th post? I'm pathetic. I've only been on FL since October.

10. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Hahaha, congratulations on 3000 posts!

Yeah, I am going to take this re-stocking very slow, probably only two fish every two or three weeks and definitely the dwarf gourami last.

Thanks for all your knowledge, Meenu.