Good setup? Question

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Jrobber, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

I am planning on finally restocking my tank soon and am wondering what your thoughts on this setup:

5 dalmation mollies (all female)
    3 swordtails (would like all males, but I don't know if that will work)
    1 dwarf gourami

The only fish I plan on keeping in my current setup is my pleco. I have a 29 gallon tank, so do you think this is a good, compatible setup?

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Swordtails and mollies should both be kept 1m to 2f. But if you are going one sex to prevent breeding, be careful because I think mollies and swordtails can interbreed.... and it doesn't turn out well.

3. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

Some livebearers interbreed but I don't believe mollies and swordtails do. I tried a few male swordtails together a while ago in my 45g but it didn't work out. I ended up trading 2 of them for females because of the aggression. What kind of pleco are you keeping in there? Most of them except for maybe bristlenose species can easily outgrow a 29g.

4. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Yeah, the pleco is a bristlenose.

So, if I went with that setup, that would be a total of 10 fish, that wouldn't make my tank crowded would it?

I didn't know about interbreeding, thanks for pointing that out.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If you add them slowly, maybe over a couple of months, it should be fine. That way, every time you add more fish, the nitrogen cycle has time to catch up.

Livebearers get tricky - if you get all males, sometimes they can be aggressive. If you get all females, they can come from the store already impregnantes, and can store sperm for a few months. If you get the 1:2 ratio, look out, because you're going to end up with tons of babies. If you don't give the babies places to hide, most will get eaten by the grown-ups usually, but I know a couple of people on here still had problems with overpopulation.

6. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Ok, thanks. I was thinking of all female Mollies, maybe I'll stick with all female Swordtails too.

7. Meenu

I am assuming you want the male swords because they are so cool-looking. What would you think about getting only 1 male sword, and no females. You could leave the rest of your list as-is. Mollies get bigger than other livebearers anyway..

8. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Yeah, the only reason I like the male Swordtail is because they do look cool. :) Maybe 1 Swordtail will do.

The Mollies at the LFS are like 2-3 inches long already, but I am looking into getting some of the smaller ones. If they are bigger than a dwarf Gourami, do you think they will pick on it?

9. Meenu

I wouldn't think so... *shrug*
    I would think, in fact, that the DG would go in last. Wait for someone else to address this, though, since I am not sure about it.

I know the swords and mollies can't interbreed, but maybe the swords would try... then that would take care of aggression issues between them anyway.

edit: :shock: This is my 3000th post? I'm pathetic. I've only been on FL since October.

10. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Hahaha, congratulations on 3000 posts!

Yeah, I am going to take this re-stocking very slow, probably only two fish every two or three weeks and definitely the dwarf gourami last.

Thanks for all your knowledge, Meenu.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice