Question Good Schooling Fish For 10g Tank?

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a leftover 10g tank that i want to use for schooling fish sine i don't have any in my 20g tank. Just started cycling 10g (fish-less) yesterday. Looking for some colorful, 5-9 schooling fish that will give nice color contrast against black substrate with gray rocks and live green plants. I know 10g doesn't have much room for many schooling fish but still wondering what fish would be good choice.

Also, how would i go about adding them to the tank. 3 every week or all at once? Are there any schooling fish that are hardy enough to do fish-in cycle?

Any ideas appreciated! Will post pic of my tank later today

Last edited:

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all, I have a leftover 10g tank that i want to use for schooling fish sine i don't have any in my 20g tank. Just started cycling it (fish-less) yesterday. Looking for some colorful, 5-9 schooling fish that will give nice color contrast against black substrate with gray rocks and live green plants. I know 10g doesn't have much room for many schooling fish but still wondering what fish would be good choice.

Also, how would i go about adding them to the tank. 3 every week or all at once? Are there any schooling fish that are hardy enough to do fish-in cycle?

Any ideas appreciated! Will post pic of my tank later today
12 ember tetras.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
12 ember tetras.
I have a school of 11-12 ember tetras in a 15 gallon (with a betta). They are such cute little fish. However, don't be scared when you try checking on them at night time. They sleep like they're dead (i.e. sitting on substrate or floating all weird) but come next morning they're all up and happy.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you have a 20 gallon tank that is cycled, you can move some of the established media to the filter of your uncycled 10 gallon the same time that you add the fish. Or am I reading that wrong, that there are no fish in the 20g and you are fishless cycling it too?
Once the 10g is established, you could add some cherry shrimp and maybe a nerite snail, if you wanted a bit more going on in there with the embers/CPDs.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a school of 11-12 ember tetras in a 15 gallon (with a betta). They are such cute little fish. However, don't be scared when you try checking on them at night time. They sleep like they're dead (i.e. sitting on substrate or floating all weird) but come next morning they're all up and happy.
haha i will keep that in mind. could i keep 5-9 schooling fish with one betta in the 10g tank safely?

If you have a 20 gallon tank that is cycled, you can move some of the established media to the filter of your uncycled 10 gallon the same time that you add the fish. Or am I reading that wrong, that there are no fish in the 20g and you are fishless cycling it too?
Once the 10g is established, you could add some cherry shrimp and maybe a nerite snail, if you wanted a bit more going on in there with the embers/CPDs.
i just edited my post for clarification, i am cycling 10g tank atm. and yes i am planning to transfer nerite snail to 10g once i have algae

Definitely ember tetras or celestial pearl danios
i thought danios need bigger tank because they are avid swimmers

Last edited by a moderator:

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
could i keep 5-9 schooling fish with one betta in the 10g tank safely?
That will depend on a few things... first, if the betta will tolerate tankmates - many bettas will not, and people usually find that out the hard way. Also, keep in mind that the schooling fish would need to be temperature compatible with the betta's 78-82 range.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i thought danios need bigger tank because they are avid swimmers
A lot of small fish do need more room it's true. I have a school of gold tetras in my 20g, I wouldn't keep them in a 10g because they are so fast, timid and jumpy. I had clown killifish in my 5.5g at one time. They are not schoolers, but they are small intersting fish. They like to ride just below the water surface. I think a 10g would be a better fit than a 5.5g for them.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That will depend on a few things... first, if the betta will tolerate tankmates - many bettas will not, and people usually find that out the hard way. Also, keep in mind that the schooling fish would need to be temperature compatible with the betta's 78-82 range.
Yeah, I have them in a 15 gallon (divided a 20 into 15/5) and it feels "tight." I'd think in a 10, it's too tight.

Letsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a cycled 10 gallon quarantine and I would not have a problem putting 10 Lambchop’s in it.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi! So I see you want to have your betta in with other fish, here is my input. You could do a school of 12 ember tetras and have the betta. I have a betta in my 10 gallon tank (which is admitedly overstock d but I am good on waterchanges, and I have 6 glo light tetras, 3 glass catfish, 3 cory cats, and 2 golden killi’s In there and they have been like that no problem for almost a year. My betta never bothers anyone. However recently that tank did spring a leak and I had to move them to a different tank which lost me my glass cats. However I am getting more. I also have a 5 gallon with a betta and 6 ember tetras. I have never had an issue.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.5 with a betta an Otto cat and 5 ember tetras and they all do fine. I’m sure some of it has to do with it being pretty heavily planted
that's a nice looking tank but i would personally not overstock it with that many fish

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I see you want to have your betta in with other fish, here is my input. You could do a school of 12 ember tetras and have the betta. I have a betta in my 10 gallon tank (which is admitedly overstock d but I am good on waterchanges, and I have 6 glo light tetras, 3 glass catfish, 3 cory cats, and 2 golden killi’s In there and they have been like that no problem for almost a year. My betta never bothers anyone. However recently that tank did spring a leak and I had to move them to a different tank which lost me my glass cats. However I am getting more. I also have a 5 gallon with a betta and 6 ember tetras. I have never had an issue.
that's a bit too much overstock for me imho but thanks for ideas

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that's a nice looking tank but i would personally not overstock it with that many fish
I don’t feel it’s at all overstocked seeing I have an AC20 on it and do 60-70% WC’s every 5-7 days but everyone is entitled to their opinion ... now if we were talking about say my 20 long with 50-60 guppies 10 Cory cats a clown pleco 2 Otto cats 2 nerites and some ramshorn then I may call that a bit overstocked but then again it has a fluval 206 an AC50 and a dual sponge and is also heavily planted and gets the same 60-75% WC every 5-7 days.

Attachments

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don’t feel it’s at all overstocked seeing I have an AC20 on it and do 60-70% WC’s every 5-7 days but everyone is entitled to their opinion ... now if we were talking about say my 20 long with 50-60 guppies 10 Cory cats a clown pleco 2 Otto cats 2 nerites and some ramshorn then I may call that a bit overstocked but then again it has a fluval 206 an AC50 and a dual sponge and is also heavily planted and gets the same 60-75% WC every 5-7 days.
I would personally never put over 70 fish in a 20g and i don't even know how yours could swim around especially being so heavily planted and not feel cramped. I feel claustrophobic just looking at your tank. But i hope they thrive and yes its just my opinion

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 72.4%

Top Bottom