Good reef fish for a 30 gallon?

AggressiveAquatics

I’ve officially decided I want to start a saltwater tank. so I’ve been researching for about two months now and I have also been talking to my saltwater lfs and I’ve got the general knowledge so you don’t need to explain that to me but I need help deciding what reef fish are good for a 30 gallon. I’ll probably be starting it after Christmas because I want to make sure I have everything perfect

thanks

Ghelfaire

I find liveaquaria.com has pretty accurate tank size information. You can even adjust the filter to show beginner fish or search for fish for a 30g specifically.

Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

Upvote 0

tuggerlake26

Here are some ideas for 30 gallons:

• Clowns
  • Cardinalfish
  • Firefish
  • Neon Goby- these sound boring, but I've had a few of them and love them. They have a ton of energy, glow under lights, and try to clean other fish. Really interesting to watch.
  • Royal Gramma (potentially, though in my experience I do feel they get rather large)
  • Cherub/Argi angelfish
  • Really any goby/blenny for the most part
  • Orchid dottyback- I have a captive bred one and it's not aggressive at all, though can be boring because they hide a lot
I would stray away from damsels unless you just want one fish, or a group of chromis. I do find chromis to be a bit boring and not super colorful though.

Keep in mind, there might be less fish you can have in a 30 gallon, but especially just starting out, you'll be excited to be able to have things like a sea urchin, crabs, shrimp, etc. I still get excited when I see mine.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Here are some ideas for 30 gallons:

• Clowns
  • Cardinalfish
  • Firefish
  • Neon Goby- these sound boring, but I've had a few of them and love them. They have a ton of energy, glow under lights, and try to clean other fish. Really interesting to watch.
  • Royal Gramma (potentially, though in my experience I do feel they get rather large)
  • Cherub/Argi angelfish
  • Really any goby/blenny for the most part
  • Orchid dottyback- I have a captive bred one and it's not aggressive at all, though can be boring because they hide a lot
I would stray away from damsels unless you just want one fish, or a group of chromis. I do find chromis to be a bit boring and not super colorful though.

Keep in mind, there might be less fish you can have in a 30 gallon, but especially just starting out, you'll be excited to be able to have things like a sea urchin, crabs, shrimp, etc. I still get excited when I see mine.
How does this sound
Pair of clowns
X amount of fire fish or dart fish ( any suggestions on how many)
And a Madagascar spotted coral croucher
And do you think crabs would work with this?

Upvote 0

tuggerlake26

How does this sound
Pair of clowns
X amount of fire fish or dart fish ( any suggestions on how many)
And a Madagascar spotted coral croucher
And do you think crabs would work with this?

That seems fine to me, depending on the clownfish. If it was a pair of maroons probably not just because they get very large. The fire fish and goby are pretty low bioload. Just make sure you have a tight top on the tank. The fire fish are jumpers.

What type of crabs are you thinking? I've just done hermits and they're good as long as they have food to eat and done starve. I used to hand feed mine brine shrimp. I've done emerald crabs, but there are cases they've caught fish when they've grown larger. For that reason I've stayed away from them.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

That seems fine to me, depending on the clownfish. If it was a pair of maroons probably not just because they get very large. The fire fish and goby are pretty low bioload. Just make sure you have a tight top on the tank. The fire fish are jumpers.

What type of crabs are you thinking? I've just done hermits and they're good as long as they have food to eat and done starve. I used to hand feed mine brine shrimp. I've done emerald crabs, but there are cases they've caught fish when they've grown larger. For that reason I've stayed away from them.
Just the common clown fish because I’ve heard maroons are kind of jerks in pairs. How many fire fish could I do? And Maybe instead of crabs could I do a red star fish? They are reef safe if I’m correct

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
Fish59
Replies
Views
Rye3434