Question Good pond fish for texas

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all, I hope I am putting this in the right place. My parents just moved to a new place that has 9 acres and we have been talking about building a pond. I am just wondering what would be some good fish that could live in the pond year round if that’s even possible. We live in north Texas so it generally doesn’t get cold. Around 30 degrees Fahrenheit at lowest

BettaNgold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
North Texas does snow at times and freeze. I live in Sotheast Texas. You can put KoI in there but just be sure to put a de-icer in during the winter so that a hole will stay in the ice if it freezes for oxygen. I even put one in mine during the winter though I haven’t needed it yet. It only comes on if temp drops in the 30’s, I believe. I have common, comet, and Shubunkin goldfish in mine but my pond is covered on the patio. KoI are hardier.

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RonP said:
How big a pond? Could be heated.
We can get pretty big. I’d say 2000 gallons or below

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm in southeast Texas also, and agree that it will get colder than you thought in north Texas. I keep common feeder goldfish in cattle troughs to deal with algae and mosquito larvae, and they do fine. And that's with temperatures ranging from well over 100° for days on end in summer, to the troughs icing over in winter.

BettaNgold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
I'm in southeast Texas also, and agree that it will get colder than you thought in north Texas. I keep common feeder goldfish in cattle troughs to deal with algae and mosquito larvae, and they do fine. And that's with temperatures ranging from well over 100° for days on end in summer, to the troughs icing over in winter.
I use to do the same thing when we had cattle. You have to use comets or common goldfish in troughs. Fancies won’t survive. My friend put a few black moor’s in her trough and they boiled, God love them. :(

BettaNgold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve tried to figure out how to heat a pond but no way to do it efficiently.

FathomtheFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If the pond is 3+ feet deep the koI could live there Year round, you'd have to read up on wintering and hibernating the koI though.

OP
J

JJBriant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you everyone for the input. I’ll have to do lots of research and see what we can do

New Threads