Good plants for a low light setup?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by davidsmyname, Nov 29, 2012.

1. davidsmyname

davidsmynameNew MemberMember

I going to a 30 gallon aquarium with live plants. I was wondering good plants for low light setup, and one that wont make the tank look cluttered. Thanks!

2. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

:sign0016:
    to fishlore. Hope you enjoy many visits to share information and experiences on fish!!

Get a corkscrew vallisneria in the back and dwark sag in front.
    Most stemplants are too light demanding for low-light setups and swordplants do 'clutter' the setup - I only recomend swords in very large tanks...

Will you be using driftwood or roots in your tank? Then Anubias species are good; also consider java fern. Both should be attached to wood or rocks, not planted in the substrate.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. chevyguy8893

chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

4. OP
    OP
    davidsmyname

yea,well i hope to be using driftwood if i can my hands on some i couldnt find it at my lfs.butmi looked for 5 mins than had to leave otherwise i can order so all in all, yes.:;tmi on my part sorry.

5. JoannaB

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Java moss is great if you do want the tank to look cluttered - it is wonderful at cluttering up a low light tank. :)

You could try a banana plant. I love mine, and it does not look cluttered, especially not if you do a bit of pruning and occasionally snip off a leaf that tries to reach the surface.

6. OP
    OP
    davidsmyname

know that i thought about it would be kinda pointless to not have it cluttered well thats the wrong word i guess just it doesnt look like i havent touched for weeks and i do plan on prunning and all that and thanks for all of the ideas thanks!