Good Plant Substrate (and Ferts) Not Bad For Snails?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I want to do a planted tank for the first time, and of course keep some loveable snails in it. But I notice a lot of the substrates lower PH, which I think is bad for snails.

Are there any recommended substrates that are good (or not bad) for snails? Fertilizers as well, for root tabs (prefer the ones I make myself in the hollow plastic beads to cut down on cost). Thanks!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I dont think fluval stratum affects ph. A lot of the ones that aren't marketed for shrimp keepers wont lower ph. They may leach ammonia though, but not much and it's to help feed the plants and cycle.

You can also grow almost any plant with just regular sand. You just need to add root tabs and fertilizers.

For simplicity, you could get an all in one fertilizer, but if you do this also pick up some iron. Iron doesn't play well with other ferts so it has to be dosed seperately.

You can also mix your own ferts from dry, or just dose dry ferts. Nilocg aquatics can 3d print custom dose spoons for the last option to really simplify life.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two tanks where I'm growing plants. In one of my tanks, I have plain pool filter sand with osmocote plus. The other tank that I have is dirted and capped with pfs.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 35.6%

Top Bottom