Good places to buy fish (Especially platys) and quarantine discussion.

Roman96

Hey everyone. So I've been having pretty bad experiences recently with the hobby, and I have some questions.
1. Good online places to buy fish such as livebearers that are healthy and not inbred to death or infested with worms?
2. Is my quarantine procedure good? It consists of 2-3 rounds of levamisole hydrochloride at 0.1 gram per 10 gallons (each dose a week apart), 3 rounds of prazipro (each dose a week apart), and salt at 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons (may be increased or decreased depending on the fish).
3. Will a siamese algae eater kill red cherry shrimp? (Mainly adults, I figure it will eat babies).

Ghelfaire

Honestly I got my platys at a big chain pet store and they were perfectly healthy.
You should look online for local breeders. You can ask important questions like what size tank they are in and how they are cared for. They'll also tend to be cheaper.

Upvote 0

Roman96

Honestly I got my platys at a big chain pet store and they were perfectly healthy.
You should look online for local breeders. You can ask important questions like what size tank they are in and how they are cared for. They'll also tend to be cheaper.
How long have you had them? It's usually hit or miss for me at my LFS. All the guppies I've purchased have succumbed to illness, but I have 3 platys that are extremely healthy and have bred like crazy. Also have 2 platys with either Hexamita or costia in quarantine right now. A local breeder sounds like a good idea. I'll try and find one.

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

I kept them for about a year but the majority of the babies were male and it was hard to keep catching them to keep the m/f ratio good. I sold them and switched to tetras.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies