Good places for wild type bettas?

Donovan Jones
Im looking to get a wild type betta, but I dont want to do a transshipper unless necessary. I know Franks Bettas is really good, but I was looking at Blackwater Aquatics. I see no bad reviews from them and the pictures are gorgeous. Anybody got recommendations? I'll probably go for mahachaiensis since I have harder water, but if some others can tolerate it thatd be cool to. I really like the smaragdina guitars.
Edit...did a water test, looks like about 200 gh, same ish for kh, and ph showed pink, but the scale is yellow to red, so I guess its at or above 8. In other words, I have liquid rock.
Ooph.

Betta'sAnonymous
If bred in captivity, you may have a shot at wild-type bettas, as they should be able to adapt. But not sure, i haven't dealt with them in any way shape or form.

Hellfishguy
Check on Aquabid. Occasionally U.S. sellers have wild bettas up for auction.

Donovan Jones
Hellfishguy said:
Check on Aquabid. Occasionally U.S. sellers have wild bettas up for auction.
Do u think my parameters will be fine for captive bred wild type? Should I just go for mahachaiensis?

Hellfishguy
Besides mahachaiensis, the only other hard-water wild betta I know of is Betta simplex, but I haven’t seen any for sale in quite some time.

Rose of Sharon
The Blackwater guys have a really good rep. I had a few questions about a specific wild type betta, and I e-mailed them. They got right back to me.

Donovan Jones
Do you think alien bettas can go in reasonably hard water?

Rose of Sharon
This is what BW says about alien bettas; sounds like they could be kept in hard water. But I really think that before I spent any kind of money, I would follow up with them. -

(We keep them in soft water with low TDS to match our other wild bettas but they are more tolerant of water conditions.)

Cherryshrimp420
Donovan Jones said:
Do you think alien bettas can go in reasonably hard water?
I dont think so... :(

Donovan Jones
I've basically resigned myself to captive bred fancy bettas at this point. Big sad, but orchid bettas do be nice. I saw a pic of an orchid crowntail with orange fins and I'm in love lol

Pfrozen
What size tank, 20g? You could just remineralize RO. You dont need to buy your own unit either... for smaller tanks you can just buy the stuff from Culligan. Sure its 2 dollars per week for water but you dont need to buy Prime and you can have whatever you want that way

Donovan Jones
Pfrozen said:
What size tank, 20g? You could just remineralize RO. You dont need to buy your own unit either... for smaller tanks you can just buy the stuff from Culligan. Sure its 2 dollars per week for water but you dont need to buy Prime and you can have whatever you want that way
Unfortunately I'm lazy. So that may sound good on paper but is realistically give up on it after a month, and I don't want to do that to a fish I'd spend a lot of money on

bcsay720
BW Aquatics. I haven't used them, but I recommended them to someone on here a few weeks ago based on their insta, and that user is very happy with their betta.

Yixrjvr58
I think you should try eother betta imbellis or mahachai as they adapt to hard water with proper drip acumation. I have lots of wilds in moderate hard water at 112ppm. They do fine and havent experience any issues. I gotten all my wilds from Blackwater aquatics. Pls reconsider.

Donovan Jones
Yixrjvr58 said:
I think you should try eother betta imbellis or mahachai as they adapt to hard water with proper drip acumation. I have lots of wilds in moderate hard water at 112ppm. They do fine and havent experience any issues. I gotten all my wilds from Blackwater aquatics. Pls reconsider.
Thanks for the response. I ended up getting the boy in my profile pic. He was begging me lol. I will keep it in mind for future purchases though.

Top Bottom