good place to find driftwood and or live plants?

vict0r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sorry to ask a double question here but i searched but didnt come up with anything other than the LFS and i dont have many good ones around here so i was wondering where everyone finds there nice driftwood, and also i was wondering if people buy all their plants or? at the moment im kinda broke but would like to invest in a peice of driftwood for them before i stop buyin them stuff..so also an average price of driftwood if ya did buy it would be nice! And sorry if this has been asked in different wording, thanks everyone for bein patient with me! ;D

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Where I live, driftwood can be up $10-$20 for a dry 1/2 foot piece. For one that's around 1-2 foot long/high, it is around $20-$40. So, here, pretty expensive. If you want a 1/2 foot already soaked and with a plant, it is as much as $25-$50. I'd rather find my own, but finding wood here isn't the easiest task.

You could find some driftwood yourself, but soak it for about 2 weeks, and make sure it's clean before adding it to the tank.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There is loads of information in the net about DIY driftwood. Actually at some point searching around I found a thread somewhere discussing about Californian good/bad trees for driftwood. So
Manzanita wood seems to be popular in yoour region since it releases very little tannis, and its native.

this is a start:
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/equipment/59368-manzanita-driftwood-location.html

obviously there are many other woods to choose from. I just remmembered these particular tree that you may be able to collect in your area.

good luck

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should also be able to go to rivers or lakes in your area. If not polluted they should be fine. Rivers would probably be best, they get more wood, more often, so you get a better selection.

orisue

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can also collect driftwood off of many socal beaches. Crystal Cove allows you to collect up to 50 pounds of driftwood a day! .

Fitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you ever go on a boating vacation just pick up some wood on the bank. I did on my vacation a couple days ago. We went to Missouri but traveled by boat a couple miles to Arkansas, and me and my brother swam up to the shore looking for driftwood. And man did we find some cool pieces. I only brought two back, but I really like them.

But like the others said just go to your local river or lake, I wasn't gonna go to my river and find driftwood though. It's a pretty nasty river now.

Good luck finding it.
arky

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i got some drift wood from a under populated bay. I boiled it for a hour then let it soak for two weeks then I am boiling it again now. I know I am over caucus but better be safe then sorry are my motto. I did see some plants there but did not take them I would rather buy the plants. As its hard to clean plants you cant boil them. the place were I got them there were frogs and crayfish and birds living in the area. so the animals were healthy so I took the wood.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads