Good Place To Buy Copepods?(& Copepod Question) (urgent)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by clemtine pace, Apr 17, 2017.

1. clemtine pace

clemtine pace Valued Member Member

I need to get some copepods for my mandarin goby, and i need a good place to get them.

Can you get them like you can phytoplankton? And just dump them straight in the tank? We get our phytoplankton in a bottle.

Im probably going to look on live aquaria.

Also do i have to quarantine or can i skip? Does it depend on packaging?

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

I saw a thing called PODS at petco if you ever heard of it. They sell them in little packs usually with a piece of macro algae in them

Attached Files:

3. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

You can also get them on Amazon.

No. You do not have to quarantine the copepods, at least the ones I get they say you don't have to. Just temperature acclimate and dump it in your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    clemtine pace

I found this:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/AlgaGen_...ive_Food-AlgaGen_LLC-GV00005-FIFDLILV-vi.html

Which looks to be the same thing basically.
    Ill have to look on amazon like the other person suggested! That would be very convenient!

So these are supposed to babies basically larve, in the link i added If i were to do that, that would be enough to get things going to feed my goby?
    How often would i have to put either of these products in?

5. Tyler Fishman

Hmm. These are adult organisms. Copepods are Micro organisms with feed on organics within the water colum. Either you could Set up a culture which is what the bag is, but I do not reccomend culturing these in a bag. If you let them in the tank the goby will just eat all of them up if you do not have any hiding spaces. Do you have wet or live rock in the setup? How old Is the tank? Copepods are a sign of a healthy and bio diverse tank, gobies course eat other micro organisms, odds are If your tank is mature and healthy it has a stable population of copepods and other invertebrates to feed your fish. If not you'll have to culture these things.

6. ObsolisPrime

ObsolisPrime New Member Member

I have a similar question. I want to get a nice sized colony going because my ultimate goal is to keep a mandarin. I have a 2.5 gal refuge attached to my sump. Tank is just about to finish it's cycle, starting to get a lot of nitrite(still got a bit to go I guess). After it's cycled I'm going to get some chaeto for the refuge, already has live rock in it. Would it be a good idea to just dump a bunch in there and just leave them be for a few months before I get the fish?

7. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I got mine from algaebarn. It seems like they do a buy one get one free deal when you first sign up, it might change every month though :)

8. Tyler Fishman

P
    Precisely, of course temperature acclimate them first, since your refugium is connected to your aquarium spare copepods will find their way in your display tank, this increases bio diversity and will feed your hungry mandarin

9. OP
    OP
    clemtine pace

Oh, i guess i got confused about the age of the copepods then :p my tank was right at a year old when i got my goby and i read that you can see them on the glass well i can and could (i saw more when i got the fish) we got my tank in February of last year i have live rock and some volcanic rock in my tank. I dont have a sump or refugium yet.

10. APierce

I would get a couple of bags...pour one and a half in your tank with everything off, and put the other 1/2 in a 10 gal tank with an air stone, heater...breed them in the 10 gal. If you get it from algaebarn they give you the photoplankton with the pods (they come together).
    If I remember correctly, I've seen your madarin and he was very skinny looking :(

11. OP
    OP
    clemtine pace

Okay, ill put them in a ten gallon to breed, and yed that was my mandarin hopefully i can fatten him up or ill have to see if someone else can take him and get him healthy. :(

Edit:
    Okay so plan b, so i planned on buying a sump soon and ive heard of people growing copepods in a sump instead of having a refugium or another tank to grow copepods in. Would it be possible for me to do that? My ten gallon tank i currently have is my quarantine tank, id prefer to use a sump so i dont have to sacrifice my ten gallon (i dont have room for another ten gallon) but ill do whatever it takes to get him healthy again!
    My main tank with my goby is 65 gallons btw idk if thats relevant.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  12. APierce

You can make a refugium in your sump, I'm pretty sure, yeah it would help him out a lot, but he is so skinny you are going to have to buy A LOT of pods to get him back to health until your population gets really good. Did you ask the store when you got him if he was eating frozen foods?

13. Tyler Fishman

Wild caught fish can be finicky... such as copper bands, and moorish idols.if your fish is wild caught it can explain its behavior. However it's going to take a lot of effort to keep the fish alive. Don't let that discourage you However it's something many reefers struggle with

14. OP
    OP
    clemtine pace

What whatever it takes to get him healthy! making a refugium in my sump would be the best way for me.
    Im going to get some frozen cyclops and mysis and see if that helps. He didnt eat frozen foods when i bought him, (asked and observed) but hes recently started eating about one maybe two brine shrimp a feeding.

15. OP
    OP
    clemtine pace

The fish store owner wasn't 100% sure, but he said he was pretty sure my mandarin was captive bred.
    Thanks for the moral support about getting him healthy again! I wasn't sure how eat it'll be but I'm not afraid of a challenge!

16. OP
    OP
    clemtine pace

17. APierce

I got a mix of 3 or 4 different pods.. Either or both of those ones will work though, some are more nutritious than others, cyclops breeds faster from what I understand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice