Good or bad prices?

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello,

Today I went to Petland and Petmart and I found an aquarium that is 75 gallons.I decided that I'm probably going to get a 75 gallon tank because it's not much more than the 55 gallon tank.The 75 gallon tank was $450.00 with the lighting,tank,and stand.Do you think this is a good price?The manager didn't specify what type of lighting it was though.I plan to have a planted tank so do you know what type of lighting I would need?The manager also recommended a FluvalG6 canister filter.It is the same price as the tank!I thought this was kind of high but I learned that this filter gives water readings.No test kit!!!It also has lots of other features.Do you think it's worth it?Any help would be greatly appreciated!Here is the website for the Fluval filter:

Thanks,
Ty

Last edited:

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think that is a bit high. What kind of stand was it?

As far as the filter,I don't have any experience with the Fluval G. But I know there are filters out there that will do a fantastic job on a 75 gallon,and cost around $150.

To keep low light plants,the light that comes with it may work,but it is hard to say with out know what kind it is,or what bulb comes with it.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought a kit setup(filter, heater, food, and small pack of dechlorinator)of a Aqueon 38g with the cover, light, and stand all for about $200 at Petco. I thought that was a decent deal, so a 75 w/all the bells and whistles for $450 sounds like a decent price I guess(unless I got robbed on the 38g lol).

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The stand just looked like a normal wood aquarium stand.It was painted black.I edited my post so you can see the Fluval G filter.I thought that it was a little high too.Maybe it will go on sale around Christmas.

With the tank and filter it would cost $900.I hope it goes on sale.

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
check craigslist, you can often make out much cheaper for complete running setups (hooray for no cycling). But if you must buy new, I suggest calling some of the locally owned LFS and getting some quotes, they may be able to get you a cheaper package deal than the big chain stores.

Oh my goodness, that canister is 450 bucks too! wow. The fluval 405 is 200 dollars cheaper and works great, or if you are budget minded perhaps the marineland magnum 350

Take care!

Last edited:

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay.I do have one small LFS but they don't have very big tanks for sale.No cycling does sound nice though.It's a tough decision.I do have until Christmas to decide so I'll just keep looking.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just edited my above post with some new info, that high tech filter sounds cool and everything but not my cup of tea personally.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Craigslist for sure. I found some next to nothing offers there while looking around. Also check the net for local fish clubs or forums. More times than not there are hobbyists real close to home that change their setups more than their underwear heh, but when they do they may dump off old tanks/filters/deco ect. for next to nothing rather then let it take up their valuable new tank space

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know that what I want is expensive but the tank would practically take care of itself with that filter!It tests the water and that's good for me because I am not good with test kits.It's such a hard decision because on craigs list there are some REALLY good deals.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
testing the water isn't really rocket science though, especially once the tank gets established, then it's just a matter of routine testing to make sure things dont get out of wack.

So yeah, would be nice to not have to personally test the water all the time, but if you have MTS then you are going to be testing other tanks anyhow, plus you can get something else really cool with the money you'd save (like upgraded lighting, co2 injection, or a good plant substrate like ecocomplete)

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have a very good point there.I will not have more than one tank I don't think.The one I have now is getting too small for my angelfish so i'm going to move them to the new tank.I guess I could always make that tank a quarantine tank.The Co2 injection would be nice for the plants.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay.I do have one small LFS but they don't have very big tanks for sale.No cycling does sound nice though.It's a tough decision.I do have until Christmas to decide so I'll just keep looking.
I missed this bit. How come you don't have to cycle it?
Personally I'd prefer a simpler filter. The more advanced something gets, the more that can go wrong with it and the more expensive to fix it gets!

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With the tank and filter it would cost $900.I hope it goes on sale.
I have a 180 gallon that cost $1,500 for the tank,stand,light,hood,and filter.
$450 for the tank stand hood and light sounds high to me. I can get that for $350 where I live. But where you live has a lot to do with price as well.

Fluval G's are new,and have lots of bells and whistles.If you are willing to pay for it,I am sure they are great filter. But remember there are lots of other filters out there,that will do as good,if not a better job for a lot less money.I run a Eheim 2217,and a Emperor 400,on four 75 gallon tanks.

Here is the cheapest place I have found for canisters,and lots of other things. Not a fancy web site,but the best prices you will find.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You might want to check out Meijer’s if you’re in Ohio; I found some pretty good deals. They usually have a couple 55G tank set up (stand not included) for $179.99; Wal-Mart had the same 55G set up for $185. If you go to a fish store around here they want $299 for the same deal.

As far as a tank stands, check Craig’s list. I got a 55g/75g black iron stand for $20.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
DO NOT BUY THE FLUVAL G6. It is a great filter. Sure. But it's high tech gimmickry. The most expensive high tech thing you could buy for your freshwater tank, most likely. And expensive to run it, because the consumables it requires are very expensive. And while it measures conductivity (TDS) which is super cool, it does not measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, nor pH, GH, or KH, which are what you NEED TO KNOW.

DO NOT BUY from the store that told you to buy the G6. Again, it's a fabulous filter. Also very expensive. But you are new to this hobby (less than five years anyways). Nobody should advise you to spend $500 on a filter, and once you've done this for five years you probably will restrain yourself when the urge to buy the latest gimmick hits you.

A 75g is a fabulous size to buy. I have a 75g, and its currently my largest tank. I bought it used, with lights,stand, and everything for $200 canadian.

Go to craigslist first, and if that doesn't work, try the big-box store that sells ONLY FISH. Not a pet store that sells fish and other stuff. Buy an EHEIM 2217 (or other good brand) CANNISTER, or an AQUACLEAR 110 hang-on-back filter. Do not go for the fancy gimmicks.

DO buy the test kits. You need them to be a humane fish-keeper.

Warren

Last edited:

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also check out Freecycle in your area. I have 4 of my tanks just for picking them up!!.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom