good or bad idea?

1. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

okay, i'm slightly agitated atm, cause i just put a 2-3 inch crayfish/yabby in my community tank and there's nothing i can do because it's in the other house, (i'm in the middle of moving houses). I know, i'm so stupid right now, i thought they would be fine, but it's on my mind and i can't do anything about it. it's happened to me before where a crayfish was introduced to my tank and it killed a kuhli loach.

but, there is a slightly good side. i thought it should be fine in the tank if i clip it's claws, just slightly where it's sharp, just at the tip. i tested it's pinching strength, not much power or grip but i still feel worried. i am going to get it out the frist chance i get tomorrow, i can't do it now, it's night time and mum is tired.

i'm bit worried for that it's going to snap my black ghost knife in half or tear my angel to bits or eat my plants. anyways, 2 questions

are the fish a little safer with the crayfishes claws clipped?

i thought it could stay with the fish if i just clip it's claws like once a month, is that stupid and/or cruel?

BTW, i didn't buy the crayfish or catch it, it came in a bag of plants i bought yesterday. i was going to put it in my 7 g tank for now, but it wasn't set up so i stupidly put him in the main tank.

anyways, thanks for any answers, i am agitated right now.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BadWolf. I've never heard of clipping a crayfishes claw and I don't like the idea of it. I'm not saying that it can't be done because I don't have any personal experience with them.

It just doesn't sound good. I'll be looking forward to other responses you receive on this. Most crabs, craw dads or crayfish will eat anything they can get their claws on.
    Best of luck.
    Ken

(I have to give the idea one of these :nono: )

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I've been to some LFS that sell crayfish in my area, and to prevent any injury, they tie a rubberband around the claws. I agree with Ken about not doing it because it's cruel. I wish there was another way but yeah, wait for more responses and ideas from other members. I've never kept crayfish before. Keep us posted. :;hf

4. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I know someone who clips the top pincher back a little. The crayfish is then unable to catch or harm any fish. Actually he is able to grow it back and it must be trimmed everytime he sheds.
    I didn't like the idea of it but have seen it work. Is it cruel? We will get lots of answers here....we dock dogs tails, ears, dew claws, etc.....saw the horns off beef cattle,
    Since a crayfish is able to re-generate its legs and claws I guess its ok....saves his life from the petstore.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ted you've stated some very good points.
    Ken

6. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

my auntie told me they will regenerate. her yabbies would tear each other a part and they all grew back perfectly. i only do the tip, not the whole claw.

thanks everyone, let u know when i see how he's going.

7. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Yes just cut back the movable (top) part of the claw...enough so he will miss a try for the fish....no more than 1/2, probably a 1/4 would be fine....he will still need to be able to hold food.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im not being mean with this response, and cutting, dewing, clipping is each owners preference..as an aquarist, we try hard to keep our fish/inverts happy as if they were in the wild..or at least try to attempt to keep them as best we can...but why would you attempt one knowing it kills fish(from your past tank) and then attempt to stop its natural process of doing so? thats just not fair ....im sorry but I do hope all the fish are fine and I hope things work out...but to me, that was not fair to him or the fish he was put in with.....its their nature to kill and eat others :( I feel pitty for the poor thing whether it hurt him or if it grows back or not...he deserves his own tank and not to be clipped each month so he wont do what comes natural..but thats just my opinion

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I think It's time to set up your other tank.
    Remember, it's all about what's good for the fish (cray of otherwise), not what we want. ;)
    Ted's points about docking, the dogs are under anesthesia and this procedure is done by a certified vet.

10. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

Shawnie has a good point, and i believe her. The only thing is, the spare tank is only 7 gallons. he's a small guy, should this be enough space? the LFS wont take him in. Another problem with small tank. We are nearly in our new house, but the house is a rental. mum doesn't wont more tanks. i'll try to convince her, dads on my side so it should be easier.

Also, i'm just making a point, no arguments, but a lot of animals have 'artificial' ways of life. Budgies get their wings clipped to stop them flying. for most birds, flying is their whole life. If the crayfish can regenerate, that means it is prepared to be hurt. i've seen inured crays all the time, all can eat, climb and live.

anyways, so far so good. no fish have been inured, though i'm still agitated slightly. He can eat, climb and do all the things he needs to do. he just cant hook on to fish.

thnkz

11. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

you could just boil him and eat em, jk i think it would be safe for the crayfish, aslong as he doesnt seem stressed
    i have kept crayfish in my tank when i was really young but my synodontis would eat them before they could do anything and i never lost a fish to one

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I have a suggestion. Maybe you could go to walmart and pick up a 10g. Just the tank and set it up for him with a sponge filter untill you figure out what to do. I agree it seems cruel, but that's just MO. You could have taped it's claws instead..

13. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

if you read my previous post you would know that my mum wouldn't allow it. plus i have no money.

if i tape the claws, he cant climb half as well as he could.

he's not in pain, he has no infection and he's happy. he's out and about happily eating etc.

i think i'll keep him there. i asked my auntie, she knows bout yabbies, she said it's kinda like cutting nails. and i cut just the tip, not even a quater of his claw (it is the bit that is mobile)

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

And you only dock tails, cut deuclaws and clip ears one time and it's done.

Decapods (crays, crabs, lobsters) can actually release their limb. Often, a cray missing a leg was in some trouble and disconecting and leaving the leg behind was a survival technque, much the same as a lizard, starfish or octopus drops a limb. The ease at which they can do that does make me wonder about the pain. That being said, this is not the same as clipping the claws. IMO, if you're going to clip the claws, do it all the way up at the joint. I don't see how it's any less painful to cut off the tip than it is to cut off the whole thing. At least then you would only need to cut every 3-4 molts rather than every time. As far as eating, crayfish use ther first two pairs of walking legs, not the claws. The claws are used for balance as those first 2 pair of legs scour the substrate for food, and for preventing others from taking away it's meal.

15. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

above, my point exactly. if they can regenerate, they are prepared for it, in ways.