Good or bad idea?

waya81

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The LFS in my town is closing down suddenly (no idea why, when we went in last week everything seemed fine, then all of a sudden its on craigslist). I asked how much they would sell me one of their complete, running salt water tanks for. He quoted me 375$ for a 55g, and 525 for a 180g, that includes rock and fish. It sounds like an awesome deal to me, but I have no experience at all with salt water. It had actually just started seeming feasible to me to do one, since the new owner of the store seemed so knowledgeable on them.

So is it an ok or bad idea for me to get an already established one for so cheap and research it as I'm going, or is it better to start from scratch.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I brought mine up and running with no prior salt water exprierence, just fresh water and I wasn't a master at that. It seems like sw and I were a good match, since I've done so much better with sw than fw. I now have several sw tanks and have never looked back. No regrets what so ever. I know have 5 sw tanks and working on a 6th.

But to answer your question only you will know the answer to that. How comfortable are you with the challenge? You will no doubt be face with some pressure to learn and learn quick.
I had to do tons of water changes when I first set up my tank-are you going to be able to handle this, if this is the case?
There's a lot of factors to consider and only you can decide if you can handle these when they come up.

If I was offered a 180g with fish and rock for 525, I myself would do it and think nothing of it.

waya81

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As I'm remembering standing in front of it in the store, I really dont remember it being that big, but I will have to see it again. Really the biggest problem right now is where to set it..

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WOW!

DDDDEEEEAAAALLLLSSSS!!!

lights and all huh? skimmers, sumps? ALL of it?

pictures? id love to see this you are purchasing,

if ya get an established tank your cutting out more than half the battle, and waiting parts in the SW imo

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even the 55g is a nice deal. My first tank was 150g. At times the 150g felt like work because the water changes were so huge.
My 55 is more of a fun tank for me, since the water changes are quite easy when compared to the 90 or 150.
If you get one, what ever size, ask lots of questions and read as much as possible. Don't forget get as much information from the old owners also.

waya81

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sigh, well hubby ixnayed it saying we have no room. Even though I rearranged the living room and found room for it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom