Good Online Discus Breeders? Question

1. Freshie_ Enthusiast 02

Freshie_ Enthusiast 02 New Member Member

So I'm currently toying with the idea of doing something different with my 60 gallon setup, it currently is a high aggression CA tank and would want to scratch the current stock to go with discus, that said if any good REASONABLY PRICED discus breeders online are recommended by you all then that would greatly help my long term decision. I have looked at Uncle Sam's Discus, Discus Madness, Jack Wattley discus, and Discus Guy.

2. f

fishfanman Valued Member Member

What exactly are you looking for?

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Discus are expensive fish, most of the sites you mentioned have reasonably priced fish, even the ones petco gets in (poor quality) are still 60$ a piece. They are expensive because they are hard to raise fish, sensitive to the slightest change (if one thing goes wrong you can lose an entire spawn), and they require more care than the average warm water fish.
    A fish that has great care gone into the breeding of it is going to be expensive when compared to a negligently bred fish that has poor shape and bad color.

4. t

toy4x New Member Member

Look into uncle Sam's discus. His prices are great. I've purchased 6 discus from him and all are excellent. He carries all different sizes from 3" - 6" and a lot of different strains.

Kenny's discus are supposed to be excellent as well, but his prices seem higher than uncle sams. Look at simplydiscus.com. Many different strains and sizes.

Current discus are not that fragile. Yes they require very clean water, but they can withstand a lot more than people think. They are gorgeous, and I've been extremely happy switching my tank to them.

You need a minimum of 60g. Your first purchase should have 6 discus as they feel more comfortable in groups.