good non-carbon filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by zebra, Apr 8, 2006.

1. zebraValued MemberMember

I was wondering. Is there a good filter that does not have a carbon media.
    That does just as good at keeping your water clean and as quiet as a Whisper filter.
    Reason why--If you have to medicate and each time either remove or take out the carbon filter...cant that get a little expensive, and time consuming.
    Other reason why--It seems like if you put the carbon media back in the filter that you will be putting back either the parisite or fungus that you where trying to get rid of in the first place.
    So if someonce could advise me on a quiet filter that keeps your water clean, without a carbon media, but with a bio-filter (one that keeps the good bacteria in) for a 20 gal. it would really be appreciated. And not as expensive as always replacing the carbon media.
    Thanks, Sharon

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I use sponges in my filters. You can buy it in sheets at the fish store and cut it to fit the individual filter.
    Carol

3. zebraValued MemberMember

Is it a regular sponge or is it the bio-sponge (the type that you keep in the filter that collects all the good bacteria).
    I've seen two types the one I have in which is a meshy sort of material, and then the type that looks like what you wash the dishes with.
    And can you keep this in if you have to medicate.
    Thanks, Sharon

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I use some bonded fiber that comes in sheets and I cut to fit. It is blue on one side and white on the other. When I need carbon I add it in a media mesh bag. The fiber can be kept in place even when medication is in the tank and rinsed in tank water to be reused as long as possible. It does a fairly good job of holding together and if I need to add another piece it is easy to do.

I am medicating 2 tanks right now. (1 tank for mouth fungus and the other for gill spots) When the meds are finished I will replace the pad with a new one and a bag of charcoal for each compartment and in a couple of days I will take the carbon bags out and leave the pads in place.

Rose
    :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice