Good next fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quajez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am looking to get a new fish for my tank and not sure what would be a good one. I currently have 6 serpae tetra and 1 rainbow shark and looking for one that would be safe to live with them. I am looking for maybe a larger fish to go in my 40 gallon tank, if there would be one that would be acceptable, especially since the serpae are known for fin nipping. I was looking for maybe a Bolivian ram, and also thinking about adding a Danio of somesort. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore
I think 4 Giant danios would look great and are more colorful in an established tank than most photos show. Though smaller, cories would be great too like maybe 7 of those. Swordtails would be good also. The tetras I don't think are too bad about fin nipping and you may be able to have a ram, but he might not get along with the shark. Maybe someone with hands on experience can answer that.

Yay this is my 100 post!!!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree that giant danios would be perfect, possibly the swordtails, but I believe that the shark would get pretty territorial with the cories. Serpaes can get pretty nippy at times and so I wouldnt keep anything with long fins and I wouldnt keep any other bottom dwellers as rainbow sharks can get pretty aggressive if a fish moves on to its terrain. Im not sure if the shark would go after rams, some of those guys like to hang mostly around the bottom so I could see that becoming a problem

OP
Q

Quajez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright thanks, i don't have a lot of money and still need a background and more plants, but prolly besides that get 3-4 giant danio's and another serpae tetra or 2. Though i am open to other suggestions.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree that giant danios would be perfect, possibly the swordtails, but I believe that the shark would get pretty territorial with the cories. Serpaes can get pretty nippy at times and so I wouldnt keep anything with long fins and I wouldnt keep any other bottom dwellers as rainbow sharks can get pretty aggressive if a fish moves on to its terrain. Im not sure if the shark would go after rams, some of those guys like to hang mostly around the bottom so I could see that becoming a problem
Thanks for correcting me, I hate to give out bad info

Sounds good Quajez! I would get 4 GDs they look best with that many. You should be fine adding another 2 tetras.
Good luck with your tank!

OP
Q

Quajez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently went out and bought 1 Giant Danio and put him in the tank, and right away my rainbowshark started going after him. I repeatedly walk up to the tank and scare him back into his cave but he immediately goes back at chasing him. They are about the same size but he won't let up. Luckily the Danio's faster but i don't want him always being chased. Any idea's what to do would be appreciated.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hmm, a lot of times sharks can make stocking difficult, IME some sharks really like to go after really shiny fish for some reason so perhaps a less shiny fish similar to giant danios would work, I cant really think of any on the spot, maybe someone else will know. Ive never been a fan of sharks because they can be aggressive regardless of the size of the tank so it might not be a bad idea to return him, your choice though.

OP
Q

Quajez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would but i don't go to the store often and it isn't close. Not sure what else i could do besides hope he'll be okay for a while.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think he will be ok for a little while, danios are fast and hardy so I dont think the shark will be able to bother him too much, just as long as things arent permanent

OP
Q

Quajez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it did become too serious, i could move him to my parents 90 gallon with fish that are all mostly smaller then him, zebra danio's, mollies, and a few other various tetra.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sounds good to me, best of luck, just keep in mind if you do move him to the other tank and decide to keep him there, he will need other giant danios to feel more comfortable

OP
Q

Quajez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ended up moving the Rainbow shark to the larger community tank where he is watched over by a full grown Serpae Tetra, and larger Mollies. He hasn't tried anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom