Good news, bad news

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Thunder_o_b, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

First the bad news. I Finally saw one of the three tiny half banded kuhli loaches that I put in the Danio tank last week. It was hiding in some java moss that I had put in the tank three days ago. I was using the Canon 5DMKII with the MP-E65 at 4:1 mag with the MT24 twin flash mounted to the lens, handheld. I snapped, and missed. The loach moves and I snapped and got a passable shot. Remember, this little one is only 1 1/2" long, and like a piece of thick spaghetti. In Post processing I saw something that made my heart freeze. I cropped, and cropped again, there is no doubt, it is a SNAIL ARRRRRGH!!!! :eek: I put that moss in all the tanks :(. To make matters worse we just gave away the Clown loach that was in Sunhawks tank. At 6" it had turned assassin and was picking off the non schooling fish. SNAILS, SNAILS, SNAILS ARRRRRRGH! *deep breath, deep breath*

No problem I'll just put in snail killer…Wait, no that would kill my plants, another clown loach…No, all tanks are near capacity and a clown gets too big too fast. Am I screwed? Flipping snails! Is there anything I can do to get rid of the miserable little creatures. I don't mind the mystery snails but these are those tiny ones the explode in numbers.

The good news is the baby loch shot is not too bad considering all things.

1. Flippen snail….grrrrrrrrr :mad: Pardon the low IQ of the shot, this is massive crop.

2. Baby half banded kuhli loach.

3. a little artistic license.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

That is seriously the best shot of a kuhli i think i have ever seen. Like ever. Definitely actually worth something. Love it.

As for the freakin snail, while he probably won't do much harm, i understand the feeling. Simple answer is to add another snail if you would like. Assassin snails a beautiful little cannibals. Also, the world needs better pics of them....just sayin.

3. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Beautiful pictures again Thunder :)

As for the snails I know the feeling I have one tank that has a variety of snails that I chose to have in there and the other has been invaded by pond snails :( so I purchased two assassins as Sol has said they are rather pretty

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357067623.673483.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357067647.682097.jpg

Please excuse the quality of my pictures I only have an iPhone as a camera I just like showing how pretty they are

4. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

assassin snails are fantastic! savage cleaned out my 10g of tiny invaders in 3 wks.....ate protien food when the snails ran low (he liked frog-donalds menu of blood worms and mysis shrimp). great snails, no interest in plants.

5. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Personally I want to know what kind of snail you have... I have never seen one that is a white color like that...

Also yes assassins are a must if you have snails and hate them :) however once the issue is solved you need to supplement its diet with protein from bloodworms, HIGH protein algae wafers, and some will go for high protein fish flakes :) I recently found out one of my babies like frozen plankton!
    IMG_20121230_205343.jpg
    My cries sharing with baby
    IMG_20121230_120607.jpg
    The parents... this was day two of them being attached... we are heading into day four now... lol

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I did not know there was an assassin snail :;banaman

Thank you soltarianknight :)
    Can I get them through the mail?

Thank you Magoo :)
    There is nothing wrong with your shots. The perspective, angle, and lighting are good, and the subject is very interesting. The tech stuff is all well and good, but there is more to photography, like a fascinating subject like yours. I am very glad you posted these shots.

That is good to know, there seems to be hope :clapping:

I have no idea what kind they are, all I can say is the one in the photo is too small for the eye to see considering the mag needed in the shot. I'll try to get better shots when they get larger.

Great series of shots, I really enjoyed seeing them.

7. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

Yup, assassins can come through the mail, but I've noticed several stores in my area are starting to carry them, maybe yours will/does too! Also, check the https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/buy-sell-trade-free/ section... they may be in there too :D I love mine, my Cichlid tank assassin is soooooo lazy, but still gets the job done, while the 2 in my community tank venture everywhere. they used to hang out together but I'm REALLY not sure what the intention was :eek: if I have some mysterious babies appear I'll let you know (doubt it though) Good luck!

8. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Ziggi :)

I'll check it out.

9. MagooFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Thunder :) I do like taking pictures of my aquatic babies :)

10. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Probably a pond snail, the shot is SUPER zoomed and detailed, it's probably no bigger then a pin head at most. At that age it probably still lacks a pigmented shell

11. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Snails are not all bad :) they keep your substrate loose and eat left over food.
    But be warned they will grow/multiply according to the food available. If you are over feeding expect a snail explosion ;)
    Carol

12. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I guess I over react when they invade my tanks. The Creator made them for a reason. My biggest problem is they seem to like to lunch on my plants.

13. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

Really? i don't think i have ever had a snail eat a plant that was not dying

14. MagooFishlore VIPMember

I have had ponds attack plants when there isn't enough left over food for them and it is very annoying.

As Mordin's tank is heavily planted and be gets fed pellets mainly and eats them one by one there isn't any left over food there is however algae in there which is causing a population increase so that's why I got my stripey boys :)

15. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If you can do it you can mash a few once in awhile as your fish will enjoy a good protein snack :)

I have a few snails in all of my tanks for their benefits and control their population with controlled feeding and water changes.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice