Good nano tank tankmates for neocaridinas shrimp?

FishOverseer909

ProudPapa

Maybe celestial pearl danios or dwarf emerald rasboras if there are enough hiding places for the shrimp.

FishOverseer909

You can put chili rasboras or ember tetras
I googled the embers and it said they need a 10 gal or higher

LowConductivity

Tucanoicthys tucano? Hyphessobrycon myrmex?

kallililly1973

We have 3 embers in a 5.5 and a ton of snails and they do fine.. no shrimp though. Can’t seem to get a colony going :(

barbiespoodle

Other than male endler guppies, I wouldn't recommend guppies. I find the female guppies get big enough to eat and actively hunt shrimp ranging from babies to sub adults.

I do have a nice 20 long I first set up as a cull shrimp tank and then added white cloud mountain minnows. I know the wcmm's don't bother the adult shrimp, they are very active in the tank, even swimming right past the wcmm's. As far as babies, it's a planted tank so there are plenty of hiding places until they get big enough so the wcmm's don't bother them. It's a very interesting tank between the shrimp and the active swimming of the wcmm's. It's one of my fav tanks for that reason.

I also have a 5 1/2 gallon betta tank in which I added cull shrimp. At first the betta took a nip here or there, but now leaves them alone and there are now babies. Again, planted so has hiding places for the babies.

In the betta tank I also have some glo light tetras I had no other place for and again, they basically ignore the shrimp. So it's a nice tank, got the flamboyant betta, the pretty glo lights, and the shrimp busily going about doing their little shrimpy thing.

I also have otto cats in the red shrimp tank. Those cute little darlings are so peaceful and don't bother anyone, just happily graze on any algae or the algae wafer I give them.

But truth be known, there is no fish that is absolutely shrimp safe, baby shrimp are so small and a tempting treat. The key is to find fish on the smaller size, too small to eat adults, and to have plenty of hiding places for the baby shrimp until they get big enough for the fish to eat.

Debbie1986

my shrimp colony exploded, and I got tired of a shrimp only tank.

I added the shrimp to my 20 tall w/ betta (long fin, so he's slow moving) and snails + False Julii cory cats ( 7)

it's heavily planted. I expect less babies which is fine.

I'm using blue light only because it helps plants grow better my shrimp are crazy eaters. They lay around in the frogbit like it's a lounge chair!

the rest of the shrimp are in my 20 long with Sparkling Gouramis.

I don't see babies, but I see juveniles... I used to have shrimp babies on glass - no more. They hide. But the adult shrimp are fearless now & out in open without being hassled by Gouramis now. Took about 3 weeks to adapt.

overall, the tanks are more interesting with the fish added. I'm really happy as shrimp only tank no longer appealed to me.

Just make sure to net water during water chnages to not lose babies/juveniles.

barbiespoodle

my shrimp colony exploded, and I got tired of a shrimp only tank.

I added the shrimp to my 20 tall w/ betta (long fin, so he's slow moving) and snails + False Julii cory cats ( 7)

it's heavily planted. I expect less babies which is fine.

I'm using blue light only because it helps plants grow better my shrimp are crazy eaters. They lay around in the frogbit like it's a lounge chair!

the rest of the shrimp are in my 20 long with Sparkling Gouramis.

I don't see babies, but I see juveniles... I used to have shrimp babies on glass - no more. They hide. But the adult shrimp are fearless now & out in open without being hassled by Gouramis now. Took about 3 weeks to adapt.

overall, the tanks are more interesting with the fish added. I'm really happy as shrimp only tank no longer appealed to me.

Just make sure to net water during water chnages to not lose babies/juveniles.
I'm kind of in the same boat as far as my blue shrimp tank being a shrimp only tank. It's heavily planted and the blues just don't stand out amid all the green. Not sure yet if I want to mess with it since it is doing so well but I'm thinking I would like some small colorful fish weaving in and out of the plants.

The red tank on the other hand I'm perfectly happy with, they stand out, no problem seeing them even with my old lady eyes. And I somehow ended up with a thriving colony of seed shrimp in the tank. Don't know where they came from, haven't added anything to the tank, but I kind of like them bouncing around.

You advice about siphoning into a net is a good one. I do something similar. Being on the older side, buckets got to be too much for me, especially with 7 tanks. So I use a python auto siphon/refill system and put a fine mesh over the intake and watch as it siphons. This also makes sure curious fish don't get sucked up. To add to your advice, all my shrimp tanks have sponge filters. When I take out the sponges to clean, I put them in a bucket of water and swish them around before I rinse them out. I always end up with babies in the bucket which I then net and return to the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies
Views
LHanna61
Replies
Views
Katie13
Replies
Views
Ben777
  • Question
Replies
Views
NewAtFishKeeping

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Shrimp Threads

Top Bottom