Good Lone Micro Fish?

1. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

I recently got into micro tanks and I was wondering what different critters can live alone in a one gallon tank, assuming the water parameters are well-maintained. I know micro shrimp and guppies are common to keep in a tank that small, but I am having difficulty finding other suitable species. I would like to find creatures that don't exceed an inch in length, like a dwarf minnow of some kind or some small invertebrate.

I also have a couple questions about two species

I found Scarlet Badis, but from my understanding they prefer to be in groups. Could I keep a lone scarlet badis? Would the loneliness stress him out?
    Edit:I have concluded that Badis wouldn't do well.

Would a lone bumblebee goby do well in a micro brackish tank?
    Edit:I have heard of and seen successful BB goby tanks with 1 goby per gallon. I have a friend that stocked 4 of them in a 5 gallon with a ton of hiding spots and they seemed to live peacefully. He's had it for about 10 years and not a single fish lived for less than two years. A couple of them almost reached 5. Would a shallow, but spacious one gallon tank comfortably hold one?

Any advice would be appreciated

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Absolutely nothing can live in a one gallon, apart from smaller shrimp. It'd just be cruel.

3. OP
    OP
    P

I have seen many micro tanks with snails and extremely small unidentified fish, roughly a half inch long that weren't fry that I regret not asking about after visiting the store for 2 years. I don't have any intentions of placing a creature in a cruel environment. I am seeking creatures like tiny snails and fish so that the size of the tank is proportionate to the animal. I don't want an animal that will just fit, but one that can thrive in a small space without detriment to its stress levels or ability to move around

4. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

That sounds like your LFS made a schooling fish live alone in essentially a cup. It's cruel, and no fish is approriate.

You can do a shrimp or a snail or maybe both - but beware that snails are poop machines. Maybe do 1 shrimp and a marimo moss ball, and 1 java fern stalk that you'll have to keep trimming. Maybe some carpeting plant. It will look neat, and no animal will be made to suffer.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I can't think of a single fish that would do well in 1 gallon. Maybe like two to four cherry shrimp that are the same sex and if female not berried so that they don't breed... But you would still need filtration, plants and be appropriately cycled and aged before adding them.

6. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

8d65a438812c1a102f04e3177a1e06fb.jpg
    Aren't objects supposed to be smaller farther away? That's a golf tee behind the 1g tank.

7. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

A pair of Least Killifish might work, although they will quickly overtake the tank.

8. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The problem with such a small tank is that parameters can swing so easily. Even with a heater, any change in room temp will cause the water temp to swing. If anything dies, or the slightest thing that doesn't belong ends up in the water, your parameters will be a mess. Anything that goes wrong, will go wrong spectacularly.

Is there any particular reason why you're against something larger? What would be the dimensions of this 1g tank?

9. OP
    OP
    P

What kind of fish are those? They're very interesting

I was looking for something that can be kept on a desk. I plan on building it. I had a 10" x 5" x 5" rectangle in mind so it'd be long somewhat shallow to enhance the amount of movement space, but I'm not settled on it until I know exactly what kind of creatures could dwell in there. I was thinking that it'd be really interesting to have a micro plant tank with just one small creature in there. I was hoping to discover some proportionate fish or invertebrates. I have never seen any 1/4 or 1/2 inch long animals at my LFS, but I wouldn't imagine that many people are seeking them.

10. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

There used to be a pinned thread I think titled 'What to keep in a 1 gallon bowl'. It seems to have been deleted. It was started seemingly to admonish people for even having them, but over time became a pretty inspiring thread for 1g tanks, which is probably why it's gone now lol.

Actually it may have been on another forum, but still got removed from sticky post since the more recent posts in it were of successes in tiny tanks and they don't wanna promote more ppl keeping fish in inappropriately sized tanks.