Good Indoor Potted Flower

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's official. I killed the Christmas cactus my mother gave me a few years ago. However, hers died at her house too, so maybe they were just old.

Anyways, I like the pot and I still have soil left. I would like to re-set the pot and plant a flowering plant in it that would do well in the indoors. The soil I have is made for African Violets, but I can get other soil no problem. I live two minutes from Home Depot.

Does anyone have some ideas for me? I'm a bit uneducated in the indoor plants department. It's important that it's not a plant that's poisonous to animals since we have so many. I would hate to have accidental ingestion.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also love bonsai, but I'm not sure if you'd have the time for one bb (well not if you wanted to further grow and sculpt it), nor would you want animals destroying your hard work

[edit: reference to removed post deleted]

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Off topic, but you can delete your own posts
Just go to edit, and at the top it gives you options to delete the post via a checkbox.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had listed a Peace Lily and it's mildly toxic. Posts removed.
Thanks!
Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just remembered that. It's early, and I only got two hours of sleep - the synapsis are not all firing yet.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That size pot and how much light will it be getting? If it was me I would just go to the Home Depot and look around. All the plants will have a pot and light requirement on the tag. Get one that catches you eye.

If it was a bigger pot. My mom has a small lemon tree in a 15 inch pot that is pretty awesome.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's a small pot that fits on the kitchen table. The kitchen gets lots of natural light. It's the brightest room in the house.

Are impatiens toxic?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impatiens quote below from this link:
"All Impatiens taste bitter and seem to be slightly toxic upon ingestion, causing intestinal ailments like vomiting and diarrhea. The toxic compounds have not been identified but are probably the same as those responsible for the bitter taste; they might be glycosides or alkaloids."

Hello...according to the link above yes, Impatiens are toxic.

Ken

Beth1965

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What about geraniums? Not sure if they are poisonous though. I have several of them and love the smell of the leaves, they bloom and lose their blooms, and rebloom again.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The scariest part of the impatiens side-effects are two things (besides death) that I DO NOT want my dogs to go through. Cleanup would put me behind on my water changes

Beth-I'll check out the geraniums. It'll probably be them or african violets, depending on price and ease of care.

Thanks, everyone! I always have some kind of project going on, don't I?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These little projects help to get us through the day BB I like to always have something going in addition to my fish. Something to do

Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
These little projects help to get us through the day BB I like to always have something going in addition to my fish. Something to do

Ken
Agreed

Shelby and I still arguing, I mean discussing, what we're going to do with the guinea pig cage. I want them in the 4 x 4 x-pen and she wants me to build a 2nd story to the cage.

Have you figured out your spring planting yet? I'm thinking purple wave petunias and moonflowers/morning glories like I did last year. They LOVE those nitrates from water changes.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love Moon Flowers. They smell so nice!

I haven't planted anything this year BB. I've been trying to get my garden cleaned up from all of the broken trees due to the snow we had. (all done). I lost almost all of my shade and most of my plants are for shade (hostas, autumn ferns.) So far things are looking ok plant wise but what trees are left (wax myrtles) just look awful. It's kind of depressing.

Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, man! I was hoping everything would turn out better, that maybe the damage wasn't as bad as you originally thought. I'm sorry.

Maybe the myrtles will start looking better soon.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think all of the remaining Wax Myrtles are going to have to come down. It's their nature to lean and spread every direction. I feel like getting a bull dozer and going to town in the garden. LOL Start all over. Maybe one of these days.
Ken

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm sorry. I have lots of morning glory and moonflower seeds. Would you like some?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom