Good Goldfish Commercial Foods?

gsong321

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It depends how big they are. Mine are pond fish, they're 10"-12" long and pretty fat but for years I fed them pond sticks. I've found the commercial foods aren't that good for them. I've used Wardleys for years, they come in pellets and in sticks but I try not to feed them that stuff much anymore. Sometimes I have too (if I run out of other stuff) but they like their veggies. My big female has had swim bladder problems for a long time from the commercial stuff. I feed them peas and freeze dried shrimp soaked with garlic guard now, she's doing a lot better. About once a week I give them a treat of blood worms but it's kind of spendy...it takes a lot of blood worms for 10 big fish to fill up on. I don't know how big yours are but if they start having swim bladder problems, I would give them some veggies especially peas...they really like it. I know there's a lot of difference in feeding of pond and aquarium fish but mine started in an aquarium...they grow very quickly!

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use Repashy Super Gold, I make it thick (ratio of 2 parts powder to 1 part water) and it sinks perfectly. I actually handfeed my ladies, gel food makes it fun and easy. ^_^ Mixed in this way it's nice and chewy and doesn't cloud the water at all. I can tell you my fish look great, they've grown a lot and their colors are good. Hand feeding is an amazing way to get a good look at your fish for any potential problems, and also make sure everybody gets a bite. I know everyone's fish keeping situation is different, but this seems ideal for a small number of goldies in a tank type dealie.

I've heard that Repashy is pretty expensive by comparison and, as a new fishkeeper I don't have a lot of experience. I went from some regular old fish flakes straight to Repashy. I just mixed up a batch so I decided to measure and calculate how much it's actually costing me.

I got the 6oz jar for $18 on Amazon (sounds expensive right?) I made about .8 oz (1/4c) of it into gel, in an ice cube tray that makes ice sticks. It perfectly fills the 5 sections of the tray. Each stick gives me about 20 feedings (in the form of slices), and I feed my ladies once or twice a day (depending on how many treats or veggies I've given them.)

So, 1/4c gives me about 100 feedings give or take... and there are about 7.5 1/4c portions in the jar. So I calculate that I will get about 7500 feedings out of this jar (more or less, they'll probably start eating more as they grow... they're only about 8 months old now). So each feeding is about .24 cents. Not 24 cents, .24 of one cent.

I think my math is correct?

skilletlicker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use Repashy Super Gold, I make it thick (ratio of 2 parts powder to 1 part water) and it sinks perfectly. I actually handfeed my ladies, gel food makes it fun and easy. ^_^ Mixed in this way it's nice and chewy and doesn't cloud the water at all. I can tell you my fish look great, they've grown a lot and their colors are good. Hand feeding is an amazing way to get a good look at your fish for any potential problems, and also make sure everybody gets a bite. I know everyone's fish keeping situation is different, but this seems ideal for a small number of goldies in a tank type dealie.

I've heard that Repashy is pretty expensive by comparison and, as a new fishkeeper I don't have a lot of experience. I went from some regular old fish flakes straight to Repashy. I just mixed up a batch so I decided to measure and calculate how much it's actually costing me.

I got the 6oz jar for $18 on Amazon (sounds expensive right?) I made about .8 oz (1/4c) of it into gel, in an ice cube tray that makes ice sticks. It perfectly fills the 5 sections of the tray. Each stick gives me about 20 feedings (in the form of slices), and I feed my ladies once or twice a day (depending on how many treats or veggies I've given them.)

So, 1/4c gives me about 100 feedings give or take... and there are about 7.5 1/4c portions in the jar. So I calculate that I will get about 7500 feedings out of this jar (more or less, they'll probably start eating more as they grow... they're only about 8 months old now). So each feeding is about .24 cents. Not 24 cents, .24 of one cent.

I think my math is correct?
Thanks, LadyG. It's hard to know exactly how what we do compares to other fishkeepers.

I just got the 12 oz jar direct from Repashy for $24.99 plus $6.00 shipping. A little cheaper than Amazon, but still expensive in my opinion.
  • 12 ounces = 340 grams.
  • Cost including shipping per gram = $0.091147
  • 1 tablespoon Super Gold Gel Food Premix = 9.5 grams.
  • 9.5 grams currently feeds Sara & Maybelle twice a day for 8 days.
  • Current consumption per fish per day = 0.59375 grams.
  • Cost per day per fish = $0.0541185
So about a dime a day for both of them doesn't sound like too much.
But on the other hand, I'm paying $41.22 per pound, including shipping, for their Repashy and there is no food item I buy for myself that costs that much.

Brought my girls home 2/1/18 so I'm guessing they are 10 to 12 months old. As of yesterday, Sara weighed 46 grams and Maybelle weighed 43 grams. They also get green leafy or cruciferous vegetables almost daily, usually beet or collard greens and broccoli. Very occasionally they get a red worm; Sara often passes on the worm though. Also working on a very small supply of duckweed, which when the crop size stabilizes, they'll probably get one day a week; maybe instead of the Repashy.
FishGrowthChart.JPG

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well .. their pound of food rehydrates into 2-3 lbs .. right? Can you say the one pound of food feeds YOU for 286 days? If you think about it that way .. how much does 286 days of food cost you? That's a more accurate comparison I think.

skilletlicker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well .. their pound of food rehydrates into 2-3 lbs .. right? Can you say the one pound of food feeds YOU for 286 days? If you think about it that way .. how much does 286 days of food cost you? That's a more accurate comparison I think.
Lemme tell ya bout this bridge I got fer sale ...

Last edited:

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like bug bites because it has less farmed fish product in it which often contain byproducts of antibiotics and resistant bacteria (a recent study on fish food).. I also supplement with omnivore reptile food made for bearded dragons (ingredients = pure dried bugs and veggies) that you can crush and rehydrate in a bit of water first..my fish are small so I grind it in a course pepper grinder into the tank and the comets go crazy for it..

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's the Super Gold ingredients list of you're curious. The Bug Bites sound pretty good , too!

For FISH I mean, fish! I don't make a habit of eating insects... well, not on purpose anyway
1540052960611.jpg

goldengirls

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would love to get my hands on Repashy, but no one sells it here locally. I might order it one day but I have so much fish food to go through already lol.

My goldies main staple is NLS goldfish forumula, but I like to give them bug bites once in a while because it’s fun watching them sift through the sand to find the bits.

I would say 50% of their diet is dry food, 40% is veggies, 10% is frozen brine shrimp/blood worms.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just use Hikari. I don’t like NLS for goldfish. Too much protein.
I like bug bites because it has less farmed fish product in it which often contain byproducts of antibiotics and resistant bacteria (a recent study on fish food).. I also supplement with omnivore reptile food made for bearded dragons (ingredients = pure dried bugs and veggies) that you can crush and rehydrate in a bit of water first..my fish are small so I grind it in a course pepper grinder into the tank and the comets go crazy for it..
I was of the opinion fish meal or by-products are from wild-caught fish, not farmed.

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just use Hikari. I don’t like NLS for goldfish. Too much protein.

I was of the opinion fish meal or by-products are from wild-caught fish, not farmed.
Possibly aquarium fish food is different than food for farm raised- but I assume they buy from the same source.. this article made me rethink my fish food. Also a lot of fish foods use salmon. Surely farmed salmon is cheaper than wild caught..? Fish meal might be more bycatch.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom