Good form?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Apr 12, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

I have been doing a lot of research on the pk's since they too have stolen my heart...and I think this one has fairly good form. The other little "female" that is SO not a female doesn't have much spread in his dorsal but honestly other than being a pet store find, I can't really find too much wrong with this guy as a foundation breeder. I would like to see more spread in the finnage before I would consider his near show quality, and his topline is a little too curvy but I also have 3 unpaired pk females and 1 of them has some pretty amazing finnage, the other 2....well not so much. I had the hardest time getting a pic of him fully flared so it is hard to see the lines of his tail...and I am not even going to get started on the stupid tank bubbles!!! What do you think of this guy?

EDIT: btw...his name is Mario...the green pk boy is now Yoshi

Attached Files:

2. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

I am no expert on betta form or finnage...but I can say that he has pretty colors!

3. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Are you trying for HM PK's or the traditional style ones?

4. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

hopefully the traditionals...I like the hmpk's but there is something about the traditionals that I just love!

5. Red1313

Ok, I'm not "really" familiar with the pk standards but I believe his anal fin is to "square" for the traditional standard, however it's got great form for the HM. Other then that I think that he fits the rest of the targets. :p

6. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

hmmm... I didn't think his tail was really long enough for the hmpk...but the females I have in mind for him are hmpk so that might work too...i do have one female that is more traditional though..I really wish I could get a better pic of him..his anal fin comes to a much more pronounced point in real life, but it does look really square in these pics

7. Red1313

In these pics he's got the perfect HMPK anal lol.

With some selection you should be able to get it to which-ever way you want it :p

8. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

hmmmm... I just thought the hmpk's had a lot more fin...if I am wrong about that and he looks like a hmpk to you, then maybe I DO like the hmpk's too... I knew his anal didn't have enough of a point for the traditional, but without the enormous caudal I have seen on some of the hmpk's, I just figured he was far and gone from them.... What I like best about the pk's is their compactness... they remind me of C-4...little package but a REAL big BOOM!

9. Red1313

It was my understanding that the HMPK's were pretty similar to the traditional for the most part. You want a 180* spread, good "fan" type dorsal, perhaps slightly larger then traditional, and you want more of a smooth level anal fin rather then the typical point. I'll look around and see if I can find some more specific details for your in regards to either standard... I could be wrong :p I haven't looked at the pk standards in a while.

EDIT:
      Written in 2008 to address the issues with the then current pk "standards"
     : Explains the diferences between the three PK types with accompaning photo's everything is examined, ventrals to caudal's.

I don't know if you've seen either of those before but they might help you figure out where your boy is and which way i would be easier to take him.
    From the quick reads I did ray splitting is the easiest way (kinda) to decide. The traditional PK are really just shortfin VT's so should have minimal (ie only 2) ray branching. The HM PK (symetrical pk) carry a bit more fin and are also allowed a bit more branching since they are a more modern development.

Hope that helps :p
    He's a pretty boy can't wait to hear how he works out for you.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

No idea but I'm so jealous that you found one locally! Those plakats, esp the half moons have got my heart as well, back when I first saw them when I bought Sirius and Kingsley. I might have to help you with some of those plakat fry!

11. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

This boy is one of 2 I found in a store labeled as females! Sadly they aren't the first mislabeled males I have seen either...but these were the first 2 I had room for when I saw them... From what I have heard this is becoming a much more common thing to find even at the bigger chain stores.. It is sad really that some people pay so little attention to what they are doing! These guys are far from tiny!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice