Good Foods For Picky Gourami

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shael, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Shael

ShaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting my opaline gourami to eat! my tetras and pleco are eating fine but I'm afraid for my poor gourami, I almost never see him eat and he's not as active as he used to be.
    I am currently working on fixing a high nitrite problem and I was wondering if that may have something to do with his lack of appetite. I'm also considering trying live foods (bloodworms and brine shrimp.) to see if he likes those any better.
    I have 3 black skirt tetras, 4 serpae tetras, and 1 2" bristlenose pleco in this 20 gallon

2. Tesla

TeslaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    Not very active could be a sign of the fish being troubled with water quality as you mentioned or some sickness. My gouramis eat anything, flakes, pellets and absolutely go crazy on frozen brine shrimp, planktons and live blackworms as special treats that I can almost feed them out of the feeding tube.
    I would suggest increasing your water change frequency to 2-3 times a week until you can get nitrite in control. High ammonia or nitrite is harmful for these fishes, try dosing prime to help a bit. By the is the gourami breathing at surface a lot then that is definitely a water issue sign.

3. OP
    OP
    Shael

ShaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    I completely agree with you on doing frequent water changes, I'm actually doing one tonight! I also have been using prime the last 2 weeks and it has had no effect, so I am trying something the store recommended, Nite-Out 2 (the 2 is in Roman numerals but oh well)
    My gourami is not gasping at the surface, rather he is staying in the mid level to bottom range except when he goes up for air in the typical gourami fashion.

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Gouramis are usually pigs in my experience, have you noticed any symptoms? White feces, lethargy, hiding a lot, faded colors?

5. OP
    OP
    Shael

ShaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Lethargy definitely, and maybe very slightly faded colors but I'm not sure. He's not hiding though

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Is he showing any interest in food at all, or grabbing food and then spitting it out? If so it may be a sign of intestinal parasites.

7. Tesla

TeslaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    I am glad you trying to get nitrites controlled. If you do not mind sharing, is the tank not cycled or did you lose the cycle? You can try getting a seeded filter pad from someone to help get the bacteria established soon, try adding some live bacteria (though I do not have persnally good experience with live bacteria). I agree with Fahn, Gouramis are pigs when it comes to eating, check for other signs as well. Also, you did not mention how high is nitrites, if it is too high then it could be stressing your fish a lot.

8. OP
    OP
    Shael

ShaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    He is showing no interest in food

I believe I lost the cycle an nitrites are at 10 ppm now D:
    (of course now that I've put it out there that he's lethargic he decides to take a few laps around the tank)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2018
  9. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    If water parameters are in check, I'd consider medicating for intestinal parasites.

EDIT: High nitrites may be stressing him out and making him sick as well. If possible see if anyone can give you cycled media, I would do a big water change ASAP as well.

10. Tesla

TeslaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    I agree with @Fahn , 10 ppm nitrites is really high and could be really stressing the fish out or even making it sick.

Remember that even a 80% water change would drop your nitrites to about 2ppm which is still high. I would suggest a 70-80% water change daily for 2-3 days along with dosing prime and then 50% every other day until you get the cycle back. If you can add cycled media it would help get it back in control fastest.

At this high nitrites your cycle would anyway stall! I hope this helps.

11. OP
    OP
    Shael

ShaelValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely follow through! Hopefully I can get things under control soon!

Become a Fishlore Member