Good fish to put with Black Skirt Tetras?

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone, I just added my first fish to my newly cycled 30 G tank I am super excited to finally have fish in there after cycling for weeks! The first fish I have added are 4 black skirt tetras. So far they are doing great, swimming around in their group and after a few hours I placed a little food in the tank and they ate (I'm taking that as a good sign since I hear some fish get stressed and won't eat when being added to a tank)

Anyhoo, I'm going to let them do their thing for a few weeks and give myself a chance to check on my levels to make sure I don't get any spikes, but I was wondering when I am ready, what would be some other good fish to add to the tank? I've heard these fish can be a bit bossy and nip at others, but with a 30 G tank I'd like to have more than just a bunch of black skirts.

Any suggestions on how I could add some more diversity to my tank? The prettier and cooler, the better! Thanks!!

Timz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
since black skirt like to hangout with each other so they wont be much of prob for the other fishes. theyll stay with other comunity fishes.

Viriam Karo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A few more black skirts, first that will help keep them from nipping any other fish you put in.

Is that a 30G breeder (do you know the dimensions?). For the bottom, you could have a nice school of 6 or so cories. My favorite are trilineatus cories (sometimes sold as Julii, or False Julii).

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't believe its a breeder tank, its about 22 inches tall and 30 inches wide

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha sorry, yeah I just rounded up but it is a 29G. Either way, any other fish you might suggest aside from cories?

Cygnus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You have quite a few options for tank mates, just make sure to add a few more black skirts. Groups tend help them be more comfortable and limit the fin nipping to their own kind.

I would recommend fish that don't have long fins or too slow moving. A lot of people tend to keep them with danios, rasboras and livebearers like Platy's or Mollies. Nothing small enough to fit in their mouth.

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much! How many black skirts do you think I should have in a 29G? I don't want to add so many that I have less room for other fish, thanks!

Viriam Karo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
At least 6 total, up to 8 (I have a school of 8 harlequin rasboras and it seems like a good number).

Platies would be nice too! They're zippy and brightly colored. Maybe 4 of them?

Mommabear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 29 gallon tank. I have 5 black skirted tetras and they seem happy. At times they chase each other, but they will school at times and then find their own 'zone'. In addition, I have 4 cory cats (emeralds & green). Yep, sorry I accidently forgot what the first two were. 3 otos, and 2 south American bumblebee catfish. I only see the last two at night. But everyone seems to get along

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom