Good Fish To Breed Which (LFS Will Buy From Me)

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey People!
    Just wondering if there are any decent fish to breed that the local fish shop will buy from me. I have already successfully bred platys. Current set up:
    x6 Neon Tatra
    x4 Platy
    x1 Albino RB Shark

Thanks. Any help os appreciated

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hello Venom. :sign0016: to FishLore.

It really depends on the individual fish store. Whether the fish is very easy to breed (like more livebearers, convicts, and others) or very difficult, may not matter - it's what's easy to keep in stock and sell quickly or at a good profit, what's in demand, etc. Best to ask the individual lfs owner.

Is that RB shark the same thing as a rainbow shark? If so, they need much more space to swim and stake out a territory than 63 liters. If you moved him to at least a 55g, then, imo, your 63 liter would be nicely stocked with the platies and tetras. :)

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

There is not really a jackpot fish, when a fish becomes popular, then lots of breeders will focus on that fish and the price will go down

4. FishHobbiest Well Known Member Member

Kribensis Cichlids are very interesting and fun to breed they sell in my LFS for around 9$ so its quite a profit since they have 20-40 or so eggs. They are very easy to breed in my opinion and they will protect and take care of their brood.
    Good luck with the fishies :;hf

5. VenomGrass Member Member

So do you just turn up with them at the LFS ? lol! how would you transport them, and what is best age to sell at?

6. crazedACD Member Member

Ah..I would recommend calling around first and seeing if anyone is interested in a fish you are interested in breeding. You might have better luck with a wholesaler than a fish store. Someone turned up with like 60 blood parrot babies at my store and I had to turn them away...it's difficult to make any profit breeding fish unless you are breeding a lot/farming. You could also check into any fish clubs/groups and usually they hold auctions and sales, but you may/may not sell them all there.

7. Slug Well Known Member Member

Supply and demand. Ask the LFS what their most popular fish is. Talk to them to find out what the sell the most, chances are this will be in demand and they would love to get them locally rather then order more.

Keep in mind, you will not make much money with any fish. There really is no jackpot breeding fish. But the money or credit you do make can offset a lot of the costs of your hobby.

8. Dojella Initiate Member

If you just want to make some extra cash (probably just store credit) but aren't an expert, convict cichlids are SUPER easy. I started with 3, 1 died the first day, and a week later I had about 200 fry. My LFS paid me $0.50 each when they were about 1"... they sell them for $2.00 at that size. I gave away 100 of them and sold the other 100 to the LFS ($50.00). Pretty good deal considering I spent about $9.00 for the original 3. Words of caution: They defend their fry very aggressively and I had to take all other fish out of the tank. They spawn constantly and I ended up being overwhelmed and unable to keep up the water quality, so I gave them all away by the bucketfull except 3 males who are now big and happy and not spawning :)

But like everyone else has said, it only works if someone will buy them from you. Convicts tend to be in every store but for some reason, my LFS didn't have any that week so they were happy to take mine.

9. VenomGrass Member Member

Awesome advice Dojella! I might consider purchasing a new tank especially for breeding once I have grasped my current tank :)

I wouldn't just be doing it for cash but the experience. Do you have pics of all the fry etc? Thank You