Good fish for my new aquarium

1. Jeraff Guest

Hello,

First off, I like the site! It presents all the info needed for beginners in an easy to find manner.

Secondly, I purchased a 29 gallon aquarium from Wal**** about a month ago. I followed the recommendation on cycling the aquarium and it appears to be cycled. No ammonia and the nitrate levels are showing up on my test strips. I used three danios to cycle because the pet store said they were hardy fish and they should be able to handle the cycling process. My question - what would be some good intersting fish to put in it with the zebra danios?

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hey Jeraff - sorry for the delayed response.

Some good fish that would go well with the Danios are Corydoras, Swordtails and Guppies. These are all hardy fish that are easy to take care of and they present interesting colors and behavior to a tank.

3. Mulm Initiate Member

You might also add a couple of small plecos (algae eaters) They are hardy workhorses that keep the tank algae-free and assist the corys (catfish) with cleaning uneaten food from the bottom of the tank

4. joe Member Member

you could also try some mollies but be sure to put in just males or put 2 females per male or the male will harass the female

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

i agree with mulm small plecos

6. fletch Member Member

Seems like this walmart place isnt a good fish shop. There have been quite a few bad posts about it on here

7. Craig Well Known Member Member

maybe platies or a bristlenose suckerfish

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you get a pleco, make sure you get a bristlenose variety for your tank. If you purchase the common pleco found at WalMart, they can grow to 2 feet long and will outgrow your tank. Mine is well over a foot long! You may also want to consider getting more danios for your tank and having a school of them. The schooling behavior is quite interesting! I agree with cory cats as an addition to the tank. In that size tank, consider getting at least 6 of them - you won't regret it! They are so adorable, and the more of them you have together, the happier they are. A female betta might be another choice you may want to consider. I'm not sure even with more danios if a male betta would fare well, or if his fins might be too irresistable. Have you thought about possibly adding a snail or two? The mystery or apple snails would also add interest to the tank.

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Gunnie, plus Platies or Cherry Barbs might also be good. And don't get any more fish at Walmart!!! At the Walmart near me, there is a dead fish in pretty much every tank, and the rest of them have Ich! I won't even describe the condition of the tanks. Walmart has good prices on supplies, but find a good fish store to get the fish at.

10. FishFan Member Member

Actually, I bought 4 Glass Catfish there and they're fine! But, I did buy 4 Ghost Shrimp & 2 African frogs-only have 1 shrimp left-unless the frogs are hiding ;) I find they are just as good as a chain pet store.

11. Craig Well Known Member Member

12. fletch Member Member

I bet you guys have realy huge stores with fish from wall to wall you lucky buggers!!

13. Craig Well Known Member Member

yeah i do anyway Grosvenor Tropicals in Belfast flippin amazin store best in NI

14. fishfreak Member Member

I dont buy my fish from Walmart, i bought fish from there and all my fish in the tank died i went back with the fish got a refund and found out later that they never clean there tanks, leave dead fish out the bottom of the tanks, never close the tanks if they have a dieseas i look on time int there tank and seen a whole tank wiped out every and they left the fish on the bottom,the people who work dont know what they are talking about. They just know how to bag there fish...................... I dont if the do it at yall's Walmart but they do at mine.

15. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

My experience of buying fish at WalMart has not been the best. However, they sometimes get in fish that are mislabelled or mis marked, and you can get a really cool fish for a really good price. You should always quarantine any new fish you buy before putting them in your main tank no matter where you get them from. Keep them in the quarantine tank for 2 to 3 weeks to make sure they don't bring illness or disease to your main tank. One sick fish can wipe out a whole tank.

16. joe Member Member

I have never bought fish from walmart so thanks for telling me that they suck. by the way what is quarintine or however you spell it?

17. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

A quarantine tank is usually a 10 or 20 gallon tank just set up to put your new fish in for a few weeks. That way you can watch them and observe if they have any diseases you don't want to expose your other fish to.

18. joe Member Member

Oooh thanks gunnie

19. tennhound Initiate Member

My first tank was a 29gl I got from Mom. And in it I had 3 3 julli corys, and  a common pleco (which soon out grew the tank) and about 6 neons. I loved the color difference.

MARIE

20. dahly Member Member

I'm just a novice, starting this hobby on Labor Day, but with my short experience I would recommend White Skirt Tetra's. Very hardy, pretty fish. They helped to cycle my 29 gallon tank in an extremly short time, 2 weeks. Friendly to my recently added Silver Tip Tetra's, whom they swim (not really school) with. Enjoy!