Good Fish for a 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by poefox, Mar 26, 2006.

1. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

I ended up getting a 20 gallon instead of a 30 for space reasons and safety reasons, and it looks like about the max for me. Furthermore a wise person stated that I shouldn't keep clown loaches in a tank that small, so I'm curious: could people give me some idea of what they keep successfully in a 20 gallon tank?

2. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well you can keep a lot of things, it depends on the persons personall choice on the type of fish they would like to keep, so really you have to decide the type of fish and we can help you with the specifics. So you have to decide if you want species, community, brackish, coldwater,tropical type of tank and the size of fish and so on.

Austin

3. jim55379Valued MemberMember

How about some tiger barbs and a few danios?? I always read those little charts on the fishtanks at wallmart so I know which fish will be compatible with each other. I have seen a few people post a compatibility chart. I used to have irradecent sharks and pictus cats. they weren't a good choice because They can grow very large 5-7 inches or more and this will definitely make a 20 obsolete very quickly. I chose 5 tigers and 3 danios for my 20 gallon because the maximum size for these fish are about 2"

4. OP
    OP
    p

poefoxWell Known MemberMember

How do those fish all get along though? I've heard both species are fin nippers.

5. jim55379Valued MemberMember

They get along GREAT!! No problems. They are both semi-aggressive meaning they chase each other around a lot but nobody gets hurt. However an angel fish for example has Large fiins that will definitely be a problem. It's kind of like 2 bullies will get along with each other but if there is a wimp in the group he gets beat up. Make sense? I don't know why I used this analogy but it's getting late (12:38am) and maybe I am a little giddy.

6. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

In my 15g I have -

1 - male dwarf Neon Gourami
    3 - Emerald Corydoras
    3 - Green Swordtails (1m, 2f)
    1 - Otocinclus catfish

They all get along great.

7. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

It really depends on what you like. Here are some suggestions:

*group of livebearers--
    Guppies
    Platys
    Swords
    Mollies

*shoaling fish--
    Tetras
    smaller Barbs
    smaller Danios
    smaller Rasboras

*catfish--
    group of Otos
    group of Cories
    single smaller Pleco such as Bristlenose

*other fish--
    female Bettas
    Dwarf Gourami
    smaller Loaches such as Kuhli

All of these fish should get along, and a combination of the different categories would make a nice aquarium. Just get whatever you like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice