Good fish for 10 gallon tank?

some1random

So I have a fully cycled 10 gallon aquarium. It has a heater, an air stone, and a filter. It has a live plant and a moss ball. Their are lots of rocks and hiding places in it. I was wondering what fish I could put in it. Since it has a very high ph, I decided to try guppies out at first. Three of the guppies died from what I assume to be weak genes (they were from petsmart). The parameters are: ph 8.4, gh 15ish, kh 15ish, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. The ph is very high, but after doing some research, I decided not to mess with trying to change it. Any fish would definitely have to be hard water fish that would get along with my two remaining guppies (they are doing absolutely great, so I don’t think the others died from a water quality issue). Thanks for any suggestions!

Ccsaquarium

The tank is definitely too small for a goldfish, the standard “rule” is 20 gallons for the first Goldie, and 10 gallons for every additional one to the tank. I’ve always had luck with catfish and loaches, they’re hardy and help keep the tank clean. Tetras are also great for smaller tanks, they’re schooling fish so they stay together while swimming, it’s super cute! Just make sure to not over stock the tank, the stress from that alone can cause your fish to die, good luck!

Upvote 0

aquafrogg

Have you considered male endlers? they like hard water. But they will hybridize with your guppies if any of your guppies are female.

Upvote 0

some1random

The tank is definitely too small for a goldfish, the standard “rule” is 20 gallons for the first Goldie, and 10 gallons for every additional one to the tank. I’ve always had luck with catfish and loaches, they’re hardy and help keep the tank clean. Tetras are also great for smaller tanks, they’re schooling fish so they stay together while swimming, it’s super cute! Just make sure to not over stock the tank, the stress from that alone can cause your fish to die, good luck!

Thanks so much. I was thinking maybe some Cory catfish. I think my ph is too high for tetras, though.

Have you considered male endlers? they like hard water. But they will hybridize with your guppies if any of your guppies are female.

I thought about endlers, but unfortunately the pet stores around me don’t have any. ☹️

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Thanks so much. I was thinking maybe some Cory catfish. I think my ph is too high for tetras, though.

I have 4 or 5 different varieties of tetra in 8.2 ph water. They seem fine.

Upvote 0

some1random

I have 4 or 5 different varieties of tetra in 8.2 ph water. They seem fine.

Maybe I will try some then. I always thought that they had to be kept in low ph environments. I guess you learn something new every day.

Upvote 0

saltwater60

Maybe I will try some then. I always thought that they had to be kept in low ph environments. I guess you learn something new every day.
Green tetras are way easier than neon tetras. I’d avoid neons.
Also look at ember tetras. Your ph is a little high but they seem to adapt well. My ph is 8.2 and mine seem good.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
strobukm
  • Bettaboo123
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
Replies
Views