Good Filter For Tiny Fish (think Fry-grade)

all-out-fallout
I’ll admit, I’m scared of filters. I’ve just heard too many horror stories about little fish getting sucked up. So when I started cycling my first ten gallon for a betta, I was happy to know I could use . But now I have a twenty gallon and need to start all over again. The plan was to use the filter I showed above paired with, but with the fish I’m thinking of having (5 kuhlI loaches, twelve harlequin rasboras, one betta (or gourami instead since people advise not to go the betta route)), I don’t know if this would be enough filtration.

If my two sponge filter idea doesn’t work, though, what kind of filter should I get instead? I would love to find something rasboras won’t get stuck on and something loaches won’t crawl into. If necessary I can make modifications to my equipment as well.

Mary765
If you can't use a sponge filter, you can use any other filter with a gentle-ish intake and just put a sponge or stocking over it

sassymomma
On my bigger tanks, I use Aquaclear filter, and API Superclean. Both are Hang on back filters. I also have a sponge sitting on the bottom.

The Aquaclear is a good, quiet filter, and works well, but is expensive. Also, if you turn down the flow, the impeller is exposed. I lost some shrimp the that last year when they climbed in and got into the filter.

API Superclean, I like because it's powerful, and I can take out the cartridge, and stuff it with Aquaclear's media, so it works the same way. Plus, the Impeller is contained, and it's adjustable, so I can run it at a trickle, or a powerful waterfall, depending on my needs.....which is one of Aquaclear's main selling points. I have found that the API filter does not clog as easily at the Aquaclear, and the design is such that if the loaches DID get into it, they'd be unlikely to decapitate themselves.

I'm not sure on the priice point of the API superclean, as I traded my dad my Aqueon Quietflow for it-my pleco liked to swim inside of it, and I had to keep opening the impellor housing to let him out. He was a misceivous baby plec lol.

all-out-fallout
If you can't use a sponge filter, you can use any other filter with a gentle-ish intake and just put a sponge or stocking over it

Do you think the sponge filter combo wouldn’t work, or is it doable? I’m still holding out hope that it would work out, but at the same time I don’t want to hurt my fish with poor filtration.

Mary765
Do you think the sponge filter combo wouldn’t work, or is it doable? I’m still holding out hope that it would work out, but at the same time I don’t want to hurt my fish with poor filtration.

Unfortunately because I live in the UK, I cannot see your links! If you could take a screenshot of each filter, I would greatly appreciate it, but if you can't then that is ok too

all-out-fallout
Unfortunately because I live in the UK, I cannot see your links! If you could take a screenshot of each filter, I would greatly appreciate it, but if you can't then that is ok too

Sure thing! Pictures and brand names attached below.

Attachments

• 37FB9789-8441-409A-9856-8EFD72D45C4F.jpeg
    37FB9789-8441-409A-9856-8EFD72D45C4F.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 76
  • 8C58E148-132B-419C-A637-2D98216C5E36.png
    8C58E148-132B-419C-A637-2D98216C5E36.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 82
Mary765
Mmm I would say both of those filters could safely power a 10 gallon I'm afraid

all-out-fallout
Mmm I would say both of those filters could safely power a 10 gallon I'm afraid

Gotcha. Any suggestions for sufficient (and gentle) filters for a 20g?

sassymomma
I used Aquatop CAF-40 sponge filter in my 29 gallon with good success.

all-out-fallout
I used Aquatop CAF-40 sponge filter in my 29 gallon with good success.

And do you mind if I ask what your stock is in that tank? Just so I can get an idea of what the sponge deals with. It looks pretty heavy-duty!

sassymomma
When I used it in the 29, it was a betta tank. I cleaned it monthly.

I'm currently sing it in my 38 gallon community, alongside my regular filter for top and bottom filtration because I have a dirt floor and sand cap, with khulis and a pleco to mess things up for me lol. . I holds AMAZING amounts of junk lol. the last time I thoroughly cleaned it, I turned the bucket of water black twice before it stopped releasing dirt.
The good thing about the Aquatop is that they have a filter size for most tanks. I have atiny one for my betta tank. This was the reccomended size for the 29 gallon, and they have yet a size up for a 40-50 gallon tank. So you only need to put a more powerful pump on it to increaser your filtration, once you have the correct sized sponge.

GrayGray4231
I would use this one.

B1GD4DDY
I am using this in my 20 tall, I use it along side the HOB my kit came with but I am certain it would Work on it's own.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KaitlynR
Replies
Views
rmurray
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
Replies
Views