Good Filter For A 55 Gallon

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 55 gallon tank that previously had 3 filters so wasn't worried. However the following has occurred in the last week:

• Took the sponge filter out to use in my QT tank, and once theyre out the waters being changed and i'm going to use it to grow out some cory fry, so it won't be going back in anytime soon if at all
  • my brand new, only have had for a month aquaclear 50 has decided to stop working completely. I did nothing to it, it just won't turn on. the motors hot so I directed an aquarium fan to blow on it so I'm hoping itll start back up but this will probably continue to happen bc its hot here, plain and simple.
the remaining filter is an aqua tech 40 - 60 but i'd prefer more than one filter. so i'm wondering what a good filter would be to add to the tank.hopefully it has lots of space for biomedia bc id be taking everything that's in the aquaclear and putting it in that filter

dakota

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look real close at the Seachem TIDAL HOB filters. Look at Kens fish web site he has great prices at a discount. when you look at one of the filters click on compareson. Thanks Bill

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tried clearing the impeller on the AquaClear 50? Sounds like something got sucked in and stuck. I'd also unplug it until you get this sorted. You're just going to burn it out if you leave it on when it's jammed.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JayH said:
Have you tried clearing the impeller on the AquaClear 50? Sounds like something got sucked in and stuck. I'd also unplug it until you get this sorted. You're just going to burn it out if you leave it on when it's jammed.
yeah I unplugged it to let it cool down. I hadn't checked that but ill go look now, thank you!

JayH said:
so I checked it and besides a hair and some sand there was nothing in it. I removed the hair, cleaned out the sand with a dropper and then put it back together and plugged it in. sadly idk how long it wasn't working, probably a day or two so its possible if it was clogged, it already burned out bc I won't do anything. its not attempting to suck in water or anything

dakota said:
Look real close at the Seachem TIDAL HOB filters. Look at Kens fish web site he has great prices at a discount. when you look at one of the filters click on compareson. Thanks Bill
thank you!

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
go with the larger 70 or 110, aquaclear or tidal. both have flow rate adjustment, it can be full flow or lowered down to just a trickle. the larger size holds more bio media.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar said:
go with the larger 70 or 110, aquaclear or tidal. both have flow rate adjustment, it can be full flow or lowered down to just a trickle. the larger size holds more bio media.
thank you. imma try to get the tidal since the aquaclear I have broke within a month xD probably my fault but idk what I did

JayH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Zai said:
so I checked it and besides a hair and some sand there was nothing in it.
Sand in the impeller is a problem. You need to adjust the intake so you're not pulling sand from the substrate. Alternatively, and even better, put a pre-filter sponge over the intake. This will keep all manner of stuff from getting to the filter, including the larger bits of fish muck. Remove it and give it a few good squeezes in clear water (tank water if you want to preserve as much bacteria as possible) every couple weeks.

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JayH said:
Sand in the impeller is a problem. You need to adjust the intake so you're not pulling sand from the substrate. Alternatively, and even better, put a pre-filter sponge over the intake. This will keep all manner of stuff from getting to the filter, including the larger bits of fish muck. Remove it and give it a few good squeezes in clear water (tank water if you want to preserve as much bacteria as possible) every couple weeks.
it's not low enough to suck it up but my cories apparently fight with the sand. its broken regardless so the next filter I get ill put a sponge over the intake

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom