Good Filter And Heater Suggestions

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello fellow fishlore friends. I am currently thinking about setting up a 5.5 gallon tank for a betta, and am looking for suggestions on what heater and filter to invest in. I thought about the aqueon pro 50w heater, but am not sure if that would be too much for a 5 gallon tank. If possible I would like to find an adjustable heater. For a filter I have thought about some type of sponge filter hooked up to a tetra whisper 10 air pump.

The plan as of now is to have a low tech planted tank using the finnex stingray light with black sand as a substrate.

Thank you all in advance for the help and suggestions

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anymore the made in china stuff is of equal quality as the most trusted aquarium companies were 10 years ago. I would definitely go with an adjustable heater and some sponge filter. So yea you have have the right idea.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wintersprite said:
Hello fellow fishlore friends. I am currently thinking about setting up a 5.5 gallon tank for a betta, and am looking for suggestions on what heater and filter to invest in. I thought about the aqueon pro 50w heater, but am not sure if that would be too much for a 5 gallon tank. If possible I would like to find an adjustable heater. For a filter I have thought about some type of sponge filter hooked up to a tetra whisper 10 air pump.

The plan as of now is to have a low tech planted tank using the finnex stingray light with black sand as a substrate.

Thank you all in advance for the help and suggestions
sponge filter is definitely a good choice. I have a sponge in both my betta tanks. I turn it down just a bit during feeding so the surface doesn't ripple that much. Then turn in up a bit. Doesn't blow them around or anything. I'd definitely go for a adjustable heater. 50w should be fine. Honestly idk if I've seen anything lower.

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is not my video, but I have made two filters similar to this and am having good results so far. Mine is not quite as complicated as this, though. Rather than the sponge, I substituted a plastic scrubby (for dishes) from the dollar store that I can slip off the bottle to clean out. And also, I attached suction cups instead of putting a weight on the bottom (though that does have some advantages). Disturbs the water just as much as a normal sponge filter, so it's perfect for bettas, dwarf frogs, etc. And, in my opinion, I think they look pretty cool in an aquarium.
. My bioload is currently pretty small, but I just tested the tank a few days ago and got perfect readings.

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you all for the suggestions. This is what I am thinking than. Let me know what you guys think.

Heater: 50 watt Aqueon pro submersible heater
Air Pump: Tetra Whisper 10 air pump
Sponge Filter: Hikari Aquarium Solutions Bacto-surge foam filter (from drfostersmith.com)

For air line tubing is there any one that is suggested over others or does any tubing work? Also is 8ft enough for a 5 gallon or do i need more? I have never used an air pump or sponge filter before, so this is a little new to me. Is there anything else I need to add to the list or is that everything?

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely, unless you have to have your air pump far from your aquarium for some reason .

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Has anyone heard of or had experience with the Jardin Economy Corner tank filter before? I came across it on amazon while searching for sponge filters. To me it looks like it could have a lot of customization to it. Would it be a good sponge filter to get for a betta tank or should I stick with getting the mini Hikari Aquarium sponge filter from drfostersmith?

Here are links to the two filters for better reference:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00511P8CS/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Also, are there any other reliable adjustable heaters out there that you guys would recommend besides the aqueon pro 50 watt that might be a little cheaper than $30? If not I do not mind having to save up a little long for a good reliable heater.

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For heaters I like the Hydor Theo 25 watt, however I have the Sungrow 50 watts from Amazon and they work equally as well so far and cost half the price, the Theo is smaller though so it takes up less space. Most of my tanks have Aqueon E quietflow filters, I like those a lot but for a 5.5 I am tying the Elive sponge filter. My only complaint is the buzzing of the air pump bothers me but that tank isn't in my room so it is not a big deal!

fbn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used a corner filter similar to this though a different brand. Worked well enough - it was perfect for my fire belly newts. They don't like water disturbance, either. The only potential downfall, since it is clear, it may require more frequent cleaning in case that would bother you.

Wintersprite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it works good the filter being clear doesn’t bother me. The plan is to put live plants in the tank, so I can always find some tall plants to place in front of the filter to hide it. The main reason that filter caught my attention is that I could place bio max, purigen, and a sponge in it.

With that filter would I place the heater behind it or to the side? Right now I am still trying to decide on what heater to get.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom