Good Feeder Fish to Breed?

• Thread starter Splunji
  • Start date

Splunji

So, I have a few fish that are carnivores, and I feed them a wide range of things. However, I hate to keep them bored with frozen foods, so I'd like to start feeding them live foods every once and a while. I don't want to feed them feeder goldfish, because I have heard that they generally carry parasites and other diseases that I don't want my fish to get. I considered getting some guppies from online, or a mom and pop shop and possibly breeding them in a smaller tank. From what I read, there are about 20-50 in a spawning, and they take 6 months to adulthood. Is this an okay path to take, or are there better options to live feeder fish? (preferably cheap)

jkkgron2

Well Known
You could buy some feeder guppies. Very cheap and IME much healthier than most other feeders.

Splunji

jkkgron2 said:
You could buy some feeder guppies. Very cheap and IME much healthier than most other feeders.
How much is one looking at per guppy? And could I have them delivered to my door, or do I find them at local fish stores?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Any and all livebearers would be fair game IMO. Get a 40gal breeder and stock it with an assortment of mollies, platties or guppies. As they breed you can remove the feeders as you go. This way you can both feed your predators and have a pretty tank to look at.

Splunji

Demeter said:
Any and all livebearers would be fair game IMO. Get a 40gal breeder and stock it with an assortment of mollies, platties or guppies. As they breed you can remove the feeders as you go. This way you can both feed your predators and have a pretty tank to look at.
Yeah, that's what I planned. A planted tank with a bunch of pretty guppies to look at. However that does bring up a question I've had for a while: What's the difference between a breeder tank, and just a regular tank?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Splunji said:
How much is one looking at per guppy? And could I have them delivered to my door, or do I find them at local fish stores?
My Petco actually started getting them in. I’m not sure of the exact prices but they’re pretty cheap. I think that some sellers on eBay sell mosquito fish which I think are Livebearers? If they are then they would be a good option if you wanted them delivered.

Splunji

jkkgron2 said:
My Petco actually started getting them in. I’m not sure of the exact prices but they’re pretty cheap. I think that some sellers on eBay sell mosquito fish which I think are Livebearers? If they are then they would be a good option if you wanted them delivered.
I'll probably do that, if I can't get ones with the pretty fins for cheap.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Breeder tanks usually have more floor space than height. I'm not really sure why we call them "breeder" tanks.

Splunji

Demeter said:
Breeder tanks usually have more floor space than height. I'm not really sure why we call them "breeder" tanks.
One of the world's greatest mysteries....only the fish gods know.

smee82

The best type of live bearer depends on what size fish your feeding. The bigger the fish the bigger the live bearer can be so your not stuck only feeding fry and left with too many fish you can't use.

Splunji

smee82 said:
The best type of live bearer depends on what size fish your feeding. The bigger the fish the bigger the live bearer can be so your not stuck only feeding fry and left with too many fish you can't use.
Yeah, I mean, I'm primarily looking to feed my arowana, and a vampire tetra I want to get. I've seen both get goldfish, but I don't want to risk it, considering how expensive they are.

Gone

Well Known
From my experience it doesn't matter if you breed cheap feeder guppies or expensive fancy show guppies, they all have one thing in common. They have lots of fry.

From a standpoint of hoping you get guppies that are free of disease, feeders will probably be the least healthy. Regular pet store guppies will often have some kind of disease, that's why it's a good idea to quarantine new guppies and treat with broad spectrum antibiotics and medication for internal parasites. The best chance of getting disease free breeders is probably getting top shelf breeder stock, but that would be crazy expensive if you're going to raise feeders.

If it was me I'd probably get a couple pair of LFS guppies and quarantine and medicate them. Around here LFS guppies go for about five or six bucks apiece. Once they've been medicated and quarantined for a couple weeks, they should be pretty healthy, but you still have to keep an eye on them. I'd feed rather aggressively for growth (not lots of food, but several small meals a day).

My experience is that guppies will usually drop 30 to 50 fry once a month. The big key for growing out feeders is feeding the guppies. If you feed three or four times a day, your guppies will grow twice as fast as if you feed once a day. You still need to do lots of water changes to promote health and see fast growth.

smee82

I personally probably would go with molllies then guppys if you have a big enough tank. They seem quite a bit hardier.

Splunji

GuppyDazzle said:
From my experience it doesn't matter if you breed cheap feeder guppies or expensive fancy show guppies, they all have one thing in common. They have lots of fry.

From a standpoint of hoping you get guppies that are free of disease, feeders will probably be the least healthy. Regular pet store guppies will often have some kind of disease, that's why it's a good idea to quarantine new guppies and treat with broad spectrum antibiotics and medication for internal parasites. The best chance of getting disease free breeders is probably getting top shelf breeder stock, but that would be crazy expensive if you're going to raise feeders.

If it was me I'd probably get a couple pair of LFS guppies and quarantine and medicate them. Around here LFS guppies go for about five or six bucks apiece. Once they've been medicated and quarantined for a couple weeks, they should be pretty healthy, but you still have to keep an eye on them. I'd feed rather aggressively for growth (not lots of food, but several small meals a day).

My experience is that guppies will usually drop 30 to 50 fry once a month. The big key for growing out feeders is feeding the guppies. If you feed three or four times a day, your guppies will grow twice as fast as if you feed once a day. You still need to do lots of water changes to promote health and see fast growth.
Wow, that was very informative, thank you! So then, how long does it take for an egg to hatch, and then become an adult? That's also an important variable for me, as I want to make sure I have constant food for my fish.

smee82 said:
I personally probably would go with molllies then guppys if you have a big enough tank. They seem quite a bit hardier.
Yeah, I don't mind having to take care of guppies. I just want to make sure I have lot's of fish, at all times.

Gone

Well Known
Splunji said:
Wow, that was very informative, thank you! So then, how long does it take for an egg to hatch, and then become an adult? That's also an important variable for me, as I want to make sure I have constant food for my fish.
Guppies are livebearers. After breeding the gestation period is about 28 days, give or take. Once they're hit by a male, they can continue to drop fry for several months. With guppies, if you put males and females together, one day you'll look in the tank and there will be dozens of babies.

Some guppies gobble up all their fry, so you have to have lots of plant cover or some other means of protecting the fry. Some strains don't eat their fry. If you don't have plant cover the fry might disappear pretty quick.

Splunji

GuppyDazzle said:
Guppies are livebearers. After breeding the gestation period is about 28 days, give or take. Once they're hit by a male, they can continue to drop fry for several months. With guppies, if you put males and females together, one day you'll look in the tank and there will be dozens of babies.

Some guppies gobble up all their fry, so you have to have lots of plant cover or some other means of protecting the fry. Some strains don't eat their fry. If you don't have plant cover the fry might disappear pretty quick.
Oh okay. So you're saying that I can just buy like 6 females and 3 males or smth online, and put them in a tank and just do regular things like feeding, and then they'll just breed without any special conditions?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Splunji said:
Oh okay. So you're saying that I can just buy like 6 females and 3 males or smth online, and put them in a tank and just do regular things like feeding, and then they'll just breed without any special conditions?
Make sure to have plants for the fry to hide in. Other than that they breed like rabbits.

Splunji

jkkgron2 said:
Make sure to have plants for the fry to hide in. Other than that they breed like rabbits.
Well, I'm trying to have them breed like rabbits, haha. But yeah, I'm gonna get plants so the fry can hide from their parents....gee, I wish plants could hide me from my parents xD

No but in all seriousness, can they be fake plants, or do they have to be live? I want this to be a really low maintenance tank because it's going to be basically a food source for my other fish.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Splunji said:
Well, I'm trying to have them breed like rabbits, haha. But yeah, I'm gonna get plants so the fry can hide from their parents....gee, I wish plants could hide me from my parents xD

No but in all seriousness, can they be fake plants, or do they have to be live? I want this to be a really low maintenance tank because it's going to be basically a food source for my other fish.
Live plants usually supply food to fry so I would get some easy live plants. Marimo moss balls and Java moss are two great ones for fry that need barely any care :)

Splunji

jkkgron2 said:
Live plants usually supply food to fry so I would get some easy live plants. Marimo moss balls and Java moss are two great ones for fry that need barely any care :)
Oh okay. Yeah, I have some moss balls, and I could try Java moss. Tanks, man! lol

....please don't hurt me....

FishBoy101

Well Known
I would probably do a larger livebearer, cause if you do something to small, it would barely feed the arrowanna. Maybe mollies, platys and other what not.

Splunji

FishBoy101 said:
I would probably do a larger livebearer, cause if you do something to small, it would barely feed the arrowanna.

Yeah, I'm still considering what fish I want to use for it. My koi bred without me knowing and now I technically have like 200 koi fish, haha, but I don't know if I want to use them for a few reasons: 1, they would grow too slow for my liking, and they're probably worth something. My arowana is very small (like 6-7 inches) so it may feed him, but idk about the vampire tetra I plan on getting.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Splunji said:
Yeah, I'm still considering what fish I want to use for it. My koi bred without me knowing and now I technically have like 200 koi fish, haha, but I don't know if I want to use them for a few reasons: 1, they would grow too slow for my liking, and they're probably worth something. My arowana is very small (like 6-7 inches) so it may feed him, but idk about the vampire tetra I plan on getting.
Vampire tetra get massive... 1 foot!! I did some light research and unearthed that they will attack fish larger then them. How big is your tank that you are keeping the arrowanna in right now?

Splunji

FishBoy101 said:
. Vampire tetra get massive... 1 foot!! I did some light research and unearthed that they will attack fish larger then them. How big is your tank that you are keeping the arrowanna in right now?
Right now the tank the 6 inch arowana is in is a 5 ft 120. I plan on getting another tank by the time it is almost a foot, or two. The vampire tetra getting a foot long, that's nothing for me lol. I have a 2 ponds, one with other aggressive fish in there, but I may but it in the 120 after the aro moves out.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Splunji said:
Right now the tank the 6 inch arowana is in is a 5 ft 120. I plan on getting another tank by the time it is almost a foot, or two. The vampire tetra getting a foot long, that's nothing for me lol. I have a 2 ponds, one with other aggressive fish in there, but I may but it in the 120 after the aro moves out.
That is a good plan!! (But expensive in my eyes lol)

Splunji

FishBoy101 said:
That is a good plan!! (But expensive in my eyes lol)
Yeah, a little bit haha. I don't plan on going to college, I'm a pilot in training and my parents are paying for that. So instead, I'm working at a fish shop where I live. Minimum wage here is 12$ so....yeah...I got some financial issues xD

FishBoy101

Well Known
Splunji said:
Yeah, a little bit haha. I don't plan on going to college, I'm a pilot in training and my parents are paying for that. So instead, I'm working at a fish shop in Arizona. Minimum wage here is 12$ so....yeah...I got some financial issues xD
The world of fish-keeping... Expensive but worth it

Splunji

FishBoy101 said:
The world of fish-keeping... Expensive but worth it
Honestly, tho.

Gone

Well Known
Splunji said:
And lots of water changes.

Splunji

qldmick

Well Known
I would do swordtails they will be a better size once your arrow grows, they are hardier than mollies.

Splunji

qldmick said:
I would do swordtails they will be a better size once your arrow grows, they are hardier than mollies.
How big we talkin?

qldmick

Well Known
about 15cm max.

Splunji

Top Bottom