Good DIY wet dry filter? (have some ideas) Thanks>

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by melovefish, Nov 28, 2012.

1. melovefishValued MemberMember

I plan on trying to make as much as possible DIY. I have some ideas on how to do it but i looking for some new freash ideas. I need about 250gph-300gph "30 gallon tank". I plan on doing live plants, and i dont know what knid of fish yet. I know how to make an aquarium overflow. TANK NOT SETUP YET so i havent done anything to it yet anythings possible. Thanks to anyone that replys!!:)

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you know how to do an overflow, I would see about using a 10 gallon as a sump.

3. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

I've seen some where the first glass divider comes up 4-6 inches out of the top of the tank and a glass box is built on there. It looks like a good way to make more room for the media and look nice too. Then again I have seen some use small plastic sterilite dressers for the same purpose and just drill holes in the drawers.

4. tim1989New MemberMember

I was looking at commercial cannister filters and they don't hold that much media.
    The local Target has "Snapware" containers. Theres 3 or 4 trays, with clips that clip to the next tray. It seems about perfect for a diy filter.

I'm working on one and I have a tall storage tote, and a little tote inside to hold the Snapware containers up so maybe I can keep a good 5 gallons of water in the sump also for added volume and to make sure whatever powerhead I get stays submerged well.

Out of curiosity, what kind of powerhead are you using for a return?

5. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

There are also many videos on youtube about DIY filters if I remember correctly. Might give you some additional ideas on many DIY things for aquariums. :)

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Some canisters hold more media than others. My susnsuns hold a ton. Fluvals don't hold as much.