Good DIY wet dry filter? (have some ideas) Thanks>

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by melovefish, Nov 28, 2012.

1. melovefishValued MemberMember

I plan on trying to make as much as possible DIY. I have some ideas on how to do it but i looking for some new freash ideas. I need about 250gph-300gph "30 gallon tank". I plan on doing live plants, and i dont know what knid of fish yet. I know how to make an aquarium overflow. TANK NOT SETUP YET so i havent done anything to it yet anythings possible. Thanks to anyone that replys!!:)

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you know how to do an overflow, I would see about using a 10 gallon as a sump.

3. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

I've seen some where the first glass divider comes up 4-6 inches out of the top of the tank and a glass box is built on there. It looks like a good way to make more room for the media and look nice too. Then again I have seen some use small plastic sterilite dressers for the same purpose and just drill holes in the drawers.

4. tim1989New MemberMember

I was looking at commercial cannister filters and they don't hold that much media.
    The local Target has "Snapware" containers. Theres 3 or 4 trays, with clips that clip to the next tray. It seems about perfect for a diy filter.

I'm working on one and I have a tall storage tote, and a little tote inside to hold the Snapware containers up so maybe I can keep a good 5 gallons of water in the sump also for added volume and to make sure whatever powerhead I get stays submerged well.

Out of curiosity, what kind of powerhead are you using for a return?

5. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

There are also many videos on youtube about DIY filters if I remember correctly. Might give you some additional ideas on many DIY things for aquariums. :)

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Some canisters hold more media than others. My susnsuns hold a ton. Fluvals don't hold as much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice