Good Deal On Fluval Spec V?

cmb19
The Fluval Spec V is for sale on Dr Foster's site for $99.99 and comes with a free $20 gift certificate. I've been looking for a budget friendly 5 gallon setup, whether by buying individual pieces or a whole kit, but have had little luck. I noticed this sale and know many members here like this tank, but it seems so expensive to me.

With the gift certificate, it makes me think it might be a decent deal since I can buy a heater and decor with it....the heater and decor are the only equipment missing from this tank, correct?

DarkOne
I picked up a new Fluval Spec III off craigslist a few months ago for $35. I've seen Spec V for about $50 on CL if you're ok with used. They're pretty nice tanks.

cmb19
I would love to find a used one, but in my area, it's just not gonna happen. I haven't even been able to find a used 5 gallon tank with nothing else included in my area for less than $15...people are nuts around here with prices because we're so middle of nowhere.

DarkOne
I had PetCo price match an Aqueon 5.5g and Versatop for $23. It was for a brine shrimp tank experiment.

DFS is a great site and has great prices.

cmb19
I had no idea petco would price match! Thanks for that info!

Tol
PetCo actually owns Foster and Smith

DarkOne

PetCo actually owns Foster and Smith

Yep. Funny, the girl at PetCo said they could price match depending on the online store but when I told her DFS, she laughed and said "of course!" The 5.5g Aqueon tank was price matched with Pet Supplies Plus.

Gabe1408
I’m super interested in those too. I find deals sometimes on offer up and sales online as low as 80 bux for em now. Fluval makes a salt water version same size for maybe 5 or ten more dollars- it would have better lights! Also, for as low as 30/40-50 bux more You can get the 15 gallon version- now that would be a lot of space to play with. If you were interested in more than a shrimp or betta tank that is.
99 plus 20 is a good deal. I was considering the dr fosters deal but now if I’m too get a spec or any other plug and play I might just do used.
I bought a bare fluval flex tank thinking about kitting it out myself to save money and what not- tank was 50 at lfs. Should have just bought complete kit....

membemy area for less than $15...people are nuts around here with prices because we're so middle of nowhere.

Lol! Also, funny/not funny the prices people charge being close to or the same as what they spent themselves. Just realized it’s snotty of me to think but if I wanted to pay that much I’d rather get it new. This is used.
50 percent or less for me all day

cmb19
I will definitely remember that Petco owns that! The few times a year I get to an area with a Petco that might really come in handy.
The saltwater tank is on there for $10 more, plus the gift certificate.
I would be ok with a small, used tank, but they just don't exist here...unless someone is selling those garbage 1 gallon kits from walmart, which I see for sale for $20-30 here. Used mind you. It's ridiculous. I have looked at the local store, but they don't even have just plain 5 gallon tanks, let alone something like the Fluval Spec. And the poor fish there...it's awful.

I also would love a larger tank...I've made other posts about my issues on here..and it was to the point where I was going to get a 20 gallon, but I've been watching my floors and they're so uneven it scares me. My fiance was bouncing the other day with our daughter and I could see the lamps bounce. If I do a larger tank than 5 gallons, I'm going to have to really study the house to figure out where to put it.

NYFishGuy
If I do a larger tank than 5 gallons, I'm going to have to really study the house to figure out where to put it.

If you're worried about 200 lbs in your house, Where do you put all the people? Just level the tank stand
Petco 1$ gallon sale just started, get a 20 long

HORNET1
As far as plug & play nano tanks go, the Spec V is hard to beat...IMO.
I have one for my betta and it's easily maintained.
My only complaint is the poor lighting, however I've heard that it's improved since I bought mine. I eventually added a submerged LED to compliment the light that came with the Spec V and it has worked out well.

cmb19
If you're worried about 200 lbs in your house, Where do you put all the people? Just level the tank stand
Petco 1$ gallon sale just started, get a 20 long

I just mean that my house is very old and the floors are quite uneven...like along the inner house walls, I can see where the boards actually bend at the ends down to meet the wall. I know to put the tank along an outside wall would help, but there also seems to be a bit of "give" to all the floors. My step son running and the dogs chasing him makes me a little nervous when it comes to that much water on my original hardwood floors.

On a side note about the leveling of a stand, I do have a metal walmart stand made for 10 and 20 gallon tanks from my parents house, one of the older versions of what they carry now, with just the 4 legs to the floor. Is it safe to drastically level a stand like that or would I need to make/buy a full bottomed stand for a large tank some day?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlidmac
Replies
Views
Gudgie
Replies
Views
ThePurpleBoots
Replies
Views