Good Cycle - Algae Issues?

1. OscarHoya

OscarHoya New Member Member

My 10g is cycling really well. Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate 20-30. I have 2 Dalmatian Mollies, 2 Sunset Mollies, 1 Cory and 1 Tetra (small, maybe Columbian?). I also have two small fern plants and one moss ball. Filters are HOB waterfall filter and homemade K1 water bottle with mechanical filter on opening.

Problem is that algae is going nuts. All over the glass and decorations. Last week I took the decorations out and brushed them off in old tank water. I also replaced the HOB filter pads. This week the algae is back in full force. I also lost a Dalmatian today. All other fish are fine and water cycle seems good. Perhaps the Dalmatian was something specific to that fish but I didn't see issues yesterday.

So, what to do about the algae? Do I have too many live plants in there?

I'm setting up a 55g so I have a place to move plants if I need to. That tank will likely have a Jack Demsey and convicts or Firemouth cichlids.

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

It means you have to much nutrients and light

3. -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

What kind of light do you have? And how long is it on a day? I also think there is something wrong with your stocking, what kind of tetra and Cory do you have?

4. OneLittleBubble

If you are dosing the water with extra nutrients I would stop because the fish give sufficient nutrients.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

What color is the color of the algae...green or brown?

6. OP
    OP
    OscarHoya

LED lights and we try to turn them on at 7:00am and off around 7:30pm. Here are pics of the Tetra and Cory. I'm really not sure of the Tetra (or if it is a Tetra) but the Cory seems to be a Schwartz or Salt/Pepper.

Only thing going in the water is fish food. I stopped Sechem a long time ago when the cycle was good.

Both, but there is some brown. What does that mean?

Attached Files:

7. OneLittleBubble

I think it means too much light because I had the same issue

8. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Green is algae, brown are diatoms...not even related to algae. There is no such thing as brown algae in fresh water. Both of your organisms feed on nitrates and phosphate, but the diatoms also need silicates. There is a prebagged filter media that you can put in your filter to reduce both...Seachem Phosphate and Silicate Remover. You can find it at chewy.com for about 5 bucks.

9. -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

My guess is that you have WAY to much light, most tanks need only about 8-10ish hours of light a day. Your tank needs only in between the 8-10 knowing the plants you have. I have a tank with a Java fern and a banana plant, I keep my light on from about 8am-4pm and my plants are healthy with no algae. Hope you get it under control soon!

10. OP
    OP
    OscarHoya

Do LED lights provide less or more photosynthesis for the plants?