Good craigslist deal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jrobber, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I'm trying to find a good deal for a quarantine tank and found this 10 gallon tank on craigslist.

I e-mailed the guy and he said the filter is a Tetra Whisper and he is getting rid of it because he bought a 44 gallon tank. I've never bought anything off of craigslist so I am kind of skeptical. He's supposed to e-mail me a picture soon, but I think I might offer less and see if he bites.

Good Deal or no?

2. josh11551

josh11551Well Known MemberMember

thats kind of pricy IMO

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Perhaps I shoot him a price of $30?

4. trailblazer295

trailblazer295Well Known MemberMember

CDN it would be ok considering it does have a wood stand. If you don't need the stand keep looking there will be other tanks without the stand and save a few bucks.

5. josh11551

i would send a 30 offer. My LFS sells 10 gallon kits with a metal stand for $45 each

6. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Yeah, I don't need the stand since I will only have a temporary setup. I think I'm going to hold off for now and keep looking.

Thanks guys.

7. pinksprklmonkey

pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

It's a little much, if you can wait. I got a 55 gallon tank with a stand, accessories (food, water conditioner, nets) 2 filters, a siphon and a 5.5 gallon tank for $100. Better deals will come up if you wait.

8. josh11551

always happy to help :)

Edit: Post 200!!

9. brokenwing

brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

I got two ten gallon tanks off of freecycle for free.

10. pinksprklmonkey

pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

It's a little much, if you can wait. I got a 55 gallon tank with a stand, accessories (food, water conditioner, nets) 2 filters, a siphon and a 5.5 gallon tank for $100. Better deals will come up if you wait.

11. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

12. lanlesnee

lanlesneeWell Known MemberMember

Doesn't Walmart sell 10 kits for less than that?

Sounds high to me too. I think for that price it should be closer to a 20g. IMO

13. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Ok, sorry to bump this but I found another "good deal." I found a local listing for a 50 gallon wood trim tank with a stand for $50. Sounds like a great deal to me, but after e-mailing the guy he says he housed a HEDGEHOG in it. Yes, he said a hedgehog. Anyways, the local craiglist ads here are all about dogs or free kittens, with the one 10 gallon tank for sale at $60 or this. These are the "deals" I am dealing with.

If I were to buy this tank, would I be able to clean it properly to house fish in it? He said from cleaning the tank, he knows it doesn't leak but if you had a hedgehog in a tank would you fill it full of water? It has a screen top which I would throw away.

A hedgehog, seriously. I didn't even know people kept hedgehogs.

14. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

petsmart had 10 gallon top fin starter tanks for 35$ last month, and walmart has them for around the same price as well. Don't overpay for someone else's junk, I see 10 gallon tanks on CL here all the time for between 10-25 dollars.

15. brokenwing

brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

I just picked up another complete ten gallon off of freecycle today. I was blown away everything was there in top quality, the gentleman got a bigger tank, and needed to get rid of it. As far as the 50 gallon tank, I would ask the guy to water test it for you. Also check all the seams real good. If it holds water I dont see why it could not be cleaned up.

16. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

It does sound like a good, but I wonder if the glass is scratched from housing a hedgehog. I e-mail the guy about pictures so hopefully it's not scratched and I'll be picking it up.

17. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I would ask him to put it outside filled with water so you can come look at it before deciding whether or not to buy.

18. lanlesnee

lanlesneeWell Known MemberMember

I looked in your local CL and found a couple of 55's for less than 75. One with a lid/lights and the other with lid/lights/stand.

Your right not a whole lot to pick from in your area. I would look at the Indy CL and do a little bit of driving. You can find better deals that way.

Also don't forget to check other sources. I found a very nice complete 55 with pine stand for 100 dollars in my local paper.

19. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Well, I decided against the hedgehog tank, but I was talking to this customer at my work and he said he had a tank that used to have a snake in. Unfortunately, his snake died this past winter so he told me to come look at it. So, I go over after work and we fill the tank with water and it doesn't seem to leak, we left it full for about an hour. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said I can't take it to college with me so if you want, you can have it!!!

So I am now the proud owner of another 29 gallon tank and the best part is that it was free. It's much different than my 29 I have now, it's dimensions are 36 L x 12 W x 16 D, so it is a really long tank.

Sweet deal?