Good brands light fixtures? Question 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I need 36" T5 2x39W. My main goals are
1. to have an awesome looking aquarium which my current T8s are disappointing as far as the lighting effect go
2. to give me access to high light plants

So I was looking around for Nova Extreme T5HO 2x39W because I saw some good feedbacks, and found they are out of stock at ALL shops.

I started to look at other brands. And I noticed that AquaticLife is much more expensive than Nova at every store.

I also just read a comment of a random guy on another forum who called Nova "a cheap brand", while he recommended AquaticLife.

Does that make AquaticLife really a better product? And worth the extra 50% cost?

Any other recommendations besides the two brands I mentioned?

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Take a look at this one

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are a lot of people out there that like to get snobby about brand names. You see that especially in the Saltwater side of the hobby... $400 powerheads, $1500 skimmer, no thanks. LOL

I've used Current USA products for years now without any problems. Right now, I am running 3 Current brand PC fixtures on my Freshwater tanks, and I have a Current Sunpod metal halide fixture on my 25 gallon reef and a Current Nova Extreme Pro on my 50 gallon reef. All were bought used except for one of the PC fixtures. Are there better fixtures out there? Absolutely. But they certainly have the price tag to match, as you have seen.

IMO, as long as you stay away from the really cheap stuff like Jebo/Odyssea, you'll be fine. The Coralife fixture linked above is ok, but the actinic bulb will need to be replaced with a Freshwater bulb, as plants can't utilize actinic light.

hunterjacob

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I saw the Hagen Glo lights on sale at Petsmart. They have 2x39W and they're good lights.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, if I buy from Petsmart, I have to pay both tax and shipping.

I already ordered AquaticLife from PetStore for free shipping and 12% off with no tax.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads