Good bottom cover plant for small patches

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Chris99, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Chris99

Chris99 Well Known Member Member

I'm looking for a foreground plant that can be planted in sand and won't quickly take over the bottom of my tank. My preference is a grass that is easily managed in a few sections around my tank. I have a 75 gallon with sand substrate with moderate to high lighting (around 50+ par). I inject co2 and have been dosing flourish once or twice a week.

I like the look of the microsword but don't want it to grow and cover the entire substrate. I don't really like baby tears or any of the moss plants.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

3. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

The easy option is to just pick a crypt or two. Wendtii is good. They barely spread at all since they grow so slowly

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Cryptocoryn Parva is the smallest of Crypts and grows very slow.

Any of the foreground grass-like plants will send out runners when established and happy. You would have to pull out the runners to keep the look you want.

5. OP
    OP
    Chris99

Thanks all! The crypt parva may be what I'm looking for. It has a little more of the "grassy" look based on the pictures I've seen.

6. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

Another one would be dwarf sag. Nice grassy look and stays fairly small.

7. OP
    OP
    Chris99

I got my crypt parva from Peabody's today. It looks great despite baking in my mailbox for several hours this afternoon (I live just outside Houston where it was 100 degrees today). Now I just need to figure out how to plant it.

8. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Crypt parva will grow painfully slow, even under optimal conditions. Dwarf hairgrass can be finicky while carpeting, but you have the setup for it. Personally, I love dwarf sag. Under your current setup, the runners would stay low and you'd have a carpet in no time.

9. OP
    OP
    Chris99

Thanks Phishphin. I'm actually hoping it grows slowly. I got three pots and spread it in the space I was wanting to fill. If it doesn't survive I will probably try the dwarf sag. It was one I looked at quite a bit but I was afraid I would be pulling it out if it spread too much.

10. Phishphin

Then you probably made the right choice with the parva. It's a pretty hardy plant, imho, so I think it will grow and look great! Attach some pictures if you can!

11. OP
    OP
    Chris99

Here it is planted. I had so much vertical stuff I wanted something to fill in some horizontal space.

Attached Files:

12. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I really like dwarf sags. They're easy to plant and don't take over and you can always trim them if they get too tall.xx

13. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

That looks great! I hope they settle in okay.

14. Phishphin

Yes, very nice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice