Good Beginner Setup?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Giul said:
Please let us know how it goes. I would’ve left the fish in the tank, from your original photo it looks like you already have Seachem prime. You could’ve dosed your tank with that as a temporary way to prevent water poisoning. A heated tank with a filter is better than a non-heated container since your fish have slowly gotten accustomed to the higher nitrates.

Also when you add your new water into the tank be sure to make sure the temperature of the water matches the tank water as close as possible. This prevents the fish from going into shock (like how a human would if you suddenly got into a hot or cold shower). Hopefully you did this if you removed them from the tank into new water.

If you have removed the fish from the tank then make sure you re-acclimate them to the tank. That means putting them into a bag and letting them get used to the heated tank.
I thought that was seachem prime but OP stated it was for new tank syndrome or something. It may have been stability.
Hopefully, it goes good because I sleep late so it is up to you.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mollies are still okay in a 10 gallon, just stay really up on those water changes, religiously as theyre eating and pooping machines lol the larger molly varieties would def need a bigger tank but a black and silver you should be okay.

Given the two mollies, i would not add anything further though.

Do daily water changes while you cycle your tank. I know its a lot to learn all at once. Many of us learn the hard way like this too. Myself included. Petstores like to give wrong info at times. Its okay, as long as we learn. Fishkeeping is so much more than most people think, but its also quite enjoyable.

Battling that cycle keeping your fish from getting sick from the effects will be hard, but you can do it if you are on top of the water changes and testing your water every time.

You will be fully cycled when your tests are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and less than 40 nitrate

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a ten gallon tank and right now I have 2 platys, 2 mollies and what I believe is a full grown male betta. (I know it's quite a bioload) Are there any tank decorations and stuff that these fish will like, i know what bettas like but I just don't know what I should put in for the livebearers. Any suggestions?

This is my current set up but I want something a little cooler.
(Sorry for bad quality)
Snapchat-2004995201.jpg

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I really just plastic plants to create a lot of cover and hiding spots for the fry to survive.

Some live plants would look cool too!

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
JtheFishMan said:
I really just plastic plants to create a lot of cover and hiding spots for the fry to survive.

Some live plants would look cool too!
Well all my fish are males so I don't have to worry about fry, and thanks I might buy some real plants

AceFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
So sorry I forgot to post this morning when i did the water change but I did and all five of them are doing well.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AceFish said:
So sorry I forgot to post this morning when i did the water change but I did and all five of them are doing well.
That is really good to hear! Great job, now the nitrates should be at maybe 20 - 40 which is a good range.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom