Good beginner saltwater fish for first timer?

Daniel
hey I'm goimg to set up a 90 litre and I'm new to salt what type of first timer fish should I get?

bhcaaron
You'll want hardy fish. Here's a list
But, before you do that, why don't you tell us what you know? Have you read about the Nitrogen Cycle? https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm Its a MUST read. Also there are some things you should know about the water that will go in the tank, https://www.fishlore.com/WaterChemistry.htm

Here's some good points on setting things up.
https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

Seems like a shore, I know. I've been reading up and researching for a month now and I'm still not ready to start my tank. However, if all this learning seems like a shore, it might be a foreshadowing that marine aquariums may not be the thing for you. But, if you're willing to learn... FISHLORE members are the best at helping you out! Trust me!

Daniel
well I know about the setting up part and how to clean the tank and I know about the nitrogen cycle how you have to wait for the ammonia and nitrate levels go up then down but I just need to know how much fish can go in a 90 litre and what to get so yeah that's how much I know about marine fish tanks

Daniel
I was thinking of a pair of clownfish , a group of damsel fish , a dwarf angelfish , and mabye a firefish gobie. Would all these species be easly compatable.And would all these fish fit in a 90 litre. And sorry for my bad spelling I'm that good at spelling lol!

bhcaaron
Here's a compatibility chart on marine fish

Once again go through the suggested list of fish for beginners. Click on the ones you like and the paragraph will tell you a little info on them, including how much space they need and a few compatible fish. For your 90L (aprox 23G (US Gal)) You'll probably only be able to have one fish. Try to get one who does best in solitud as opposed to needing a school for family or a shoal of mates. Keeping a tank that size for marine beginner, however, will be very difficult. Unfortunately, with salties, bigger is better. Read up, research, study. Once you have enough info to get started, go back and look it all up again. Understand that keeping a smaller saltie is not impossible. It will just require much more devotion than a larger one.

Daniel
so do you mean with a 23 gallon I can only get one fish like litreay just one

Daniel
I know that on that chart of beginners fish its says lot of them need size of 30 gallon would it matter if I but them in a tank of 23 gallon would that make much of a difference?

Wolfgang8810
I'm thinking about a marine tank but its still a long way off. from the research ive done I have read that in a marine aquarium you need 3 gallons per inch of fish so with a 23 gallon tank you can have about 7 total full grown inches of fish

bhcaaron
Unfortunately, Wolfgang, these rule of thumbs don't work like with freshwater. There may be rules of thumb for certain fish, however, it is not the same for all.

Daniel,

As for the fish that require a minimum 30G, just think, you'd have a tank that is already 10G too small. As for just ONE fish, YES, this means just ONE single fish. Try looking at the nano fish. You may be able to find one that is ok in a 20G tank. Since your's is a bit bigger, it'll just make it happier.

Daniel
hey what about the fish like firefish gobies and the ocellaris clownfish and the types that go in a 20 gallon would thoses fish be alright to have a couple in a 23 gallon?

bhcaaron
Do you like this one?

bhcaaron
Or this one?

This one actually req less than you have, so you could keep a couple.

"A 10-gallon or larger aquarium with a cave and peaceful tank mates is suitable for this slow and methodical swimmer. It tends to hide in sea grass or other plants, or may use long spined urchins for camouflage. If a larger aquarium is available, it will handle a small group of this species. As a group, they will establish a strict hierarchy without aggressiveness."

Daniel
I like the goby but not the cardinal. would a pair of ocellaris clwonfish and one firefish goby work plus that goby you gave an of to me?

bhcaaron
Somehow I think that would be overkill on the tank. Even if you can do wonders in keeping it in top shape, do you really want your fishies to suffer with room issues because you want that collection? Find out all you can on ocellaris. Go to the library and request books, look online, and ask other salties here on FishLore and any other place you can. Go to LFS's and ask them, HOWEVER, always double check on books and from experts what ever the shop keepers tell you... TRUST ME!

bhcaaron
Look at the tank bred Ocellaris Clown, the tank bred Black and White Ocellaris and the Teardrop Ocellaris on liveaquaria. Maybe you can get away with just two of one of these.

Daniel
so are you telling me that in a 23 gallon I can only have one pair of clownfish and that's it

Wolfgang8810
then some inverts and such

Daniel
wat type of inverts

bhcaaron
so are you telling me that in a 23 gallon I can only have one pair of clownfish and that's it

No matter how you look at it, yes. But perhaps Wolfgang brings up a good point. That does not include your clean up crew, macro algae, and possibly an anemone in the future.

Daniel
well then tell what I could fit in a 30 gallon seeing that I could fit more fish. what types?

Wolfgang8810
7 gallons dosent really open up too many more options

Daniel
what do you mean 7 gallon what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel
ow sorry I know what you mean but why doesn t it make a difference

bhcaaron
You could add a cleaning cew like this

That includes one more fish in addition to your two clown and anemone.

And maybe something like this too

leximommy
oh my gosh aaron!!! I can't belive I missed that! I love that catalina goby! its mine its mine its mine!!!!!
oh and id be very carfull with angelfish...they are big jumpers...I was actualy at the pet store the other day and I saw one leap pretty high when the manager was trying to get one out for this guy...poor little thing just jumped right onto the floor....

leximommy
I really hate to bust your bubbles, but let me say this.....my original plan was to get a 30 gallon tank....but then I realized that I didnt want just a few fish I wanted about 10....a pair of clownfish, a goby, a couple of damsels and if I was really lucky and was able to get a tank big enough a yellow tailed tang. (and of course my little army of invertabrates)

so heres the thing....while you may spend about 300-500 to set up a 30 galloon tank (not including cost of the tank obviously....) youd only spend about 500-700 to set up a 100 gallon tank...and if you have the room then go as big as you can! so..... basically you don't want to overstock your tank at all because ill tell you this, some female fish are very territorial especially to there own species, they will kill all the others.... and don't knock on being able to have just a few fish.... a goby and a pair of clowns and then a small army of very good crabs,snails and starfish and shrimp are great...there are tons of beautiful crabs, like the harlequin crab and then you'll want a cleaner shrimp. oh but a word of caution on starfish.... check the adult size before hand because some get VERY BIG! and also make sure your lid is on tight.... oh and in my opinion the bumble bee snails are very pretty to offset a very colorfull tank.

bhcaaron
LoL, gotta love LexiMommy! She thinks of every thing I don't. So basically... she thinks lol

Daniel
so could I get a dwarf angelfish and a pair of clownfish in a 30 gallon?

Daniel
and some crabs and shrimp

bhcaaron
If you see fishes that can be kept in a 30G tank or smaller, that does not mean you can keep them all in the same tank. For example, the flame angel needs a minimum of 30G. if you only have a 30G than you can only keep one flame angel, live rock, live sand, coral, cleaning crew and maybe an anemone... nothing else. Could you physically keep more? Yeah. Just because you can, however, does not make it right.

Daniel
so ina 30 gallon I can only get small fish this is so stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why does it have to be that way why [crying real loudly]

bhcaaron
Ok... so the 1st thing I did was check for you age. You don't have it posted so the next thing I did was think, "Shut up Aaron, don't say it!" 3rd thing I did was freak out and then ask....

Ummm... so how old are you?

Daniel
well mabye I could get a small 30 gallon reef tank. what's the difference between the fish only with live rock, and a small reef tank setup?

bhcaaron
In a small reef, although you can have some fish (ie your two clowns), the main focus is corals. Tends to be more difficult, especially with a tank that size. It will also be more expensive, but, usually WAY more colorful and attractive.

Daniel
I'm 11 turning 12 in november and ive had tropical fish for almost a year

Daniel
ive heard with reef tanks you need more lighting and circulation is this true?

Daniel
ok can you tell me this please strat away how many gallons do I need to have 5 30 gallon minimum fish how big I just need to know that right now

leximommy
ok daniel....ill lay it to you straight....

a reef tank will cost you about 1000- 2000 MORE than a fish with live rock only....

a fish with live rock only will cost you about 100-200 more than a fish only tank....

I'm assuming this will be your first marine tank? if so can you tell me what you already have for it? (if anything....I know aaron is stuborn and won't buy anything until he gets his tank....lol but since that's the most expensive thing I'm doing that last....(well, next to last...I'm buying live rock and live sand last....)

I'm going to post a list of products in a little bit for you, that are (in my opinion and from what ive learned) effective but not expensive....

but first lets do this....
I don't know if you know all of this already, but I'm going to say it anyways, better to be safe than sorry....

in my opinion, with you being in your parents house (I'm assuming) it would be best to do as much of your sea scape "fake" than real.... like this, they say you should have about 2-3 lbs of live rock for ever gallon.... so for you that would be like 60 lbs, at 6 dollars a lbs (average price) that would be 360 dollars.... but it may be best to buy a few fake decorations and then buy enough live rock to round everything out about 10 - 20 lbs..... then if your doing live sand for looks you can get away with an inch, if you want it for invertabrates you may be able to get away with 2 inches but if you want it to help with filtration you'll need about 4 inches.... keep in mind that this WILL take away from your overall gallonage of your tank....
you can always do bare bottom tank (no sand or rocks at all.....) and sometimes this looks good. but you can't have any burrowing creatures. no starfish, no cucombers, nothing...you may be able to have some snails...but I don't know about anything else.... also if you do live sand, be sure to put your decorations in the tank first, then the sand then the water. (if you put the rock ontop of the sand it can crush some of your creatures if they burrow under it.....)

now with a reef tank yes its beautiful and yes its more natural, but the lighting required is extreemly expensive, and so are the bulbs.... so only if you have enough money to do it right or else you WILL kill your reef....(you can still have the look buy getting fake corals and anemones. and keep in mind they look better underwater than out of water and they even move like real ones (kinda)

now for some questions..... what is a fish or two that you are wanting the most?
what type of tank would you want? fish only or fish with live rock? sand or bare bottom?

do you have anything yet, and if so what? do you have the room for your marine tank and your freshwater tank?

leximommy
oh and to answer your question, if you want 5 30 gallon fish you'll need 150 gallons

bhcaaron
I don't know about freshwater, however, I do know reefs do much better, as well as most fishes, with stronger currents. I don't think you want to blow them out of the water, but, you get the point. Lower circulation is linked to duller colors and general poor health of all your tank's members. The difficulty lies when you choose to have a sand bed, too much and you have a sand storm. Too little and things could get sick and die.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views