Good Beginner Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ChristyFishMom, Aug 10, 2015.

1. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

We are setting up a tank and taking a scouting trip to a LFS soon. I am going to have my kids write down some names of fish that they like and then we need to research them before choosing what we'd like in our tank. I am hoping to do a 29 gallon, but may go smaller because I am still trying to figure out where to put the tank. What are some good, hardy, pretty looking, beginner fish? (Just so that I have an idea of what to steer them towards.)

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Cherry barbs, pristella tetras, cardinals, zebra danios, glofish, silver tip tetras, any 2-3" tetra/danio/barb would work really. Keep in mind these are schooling fish that need a group of 6 or more. (Try to stay away from tiger barbs though, they need a big school of 10+ and they are known to be semi-aggressive fin nippers and neons as we discussed in your other thread). But please please make sure your tank is cycled before putting any fish in, its just more humane this way. Nitrogen cycle - this should pop up a link you can read about.

3. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thanks! And yep, we don't want to lose any fish, my kids are really worried about that. We are just researching right now.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Guppies or Platys children seem to like because of their bright colours, if you go that route get males only so you don't have the worry of lots of fry to deal with.

5. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to the forum. Glofish come in a skirt tetra form and a zebra danio form. Those are the florecent fish that kids like. Male guppies are really pretty and if you get all males you won't have to deal with fry. Harlequin rasboras are pretty and hardy, any of the small tetras, Platty fish come in all different colors, If you don't want babies then get all males, If you decide you want a pleco get a bristle nose as they stay small. Corydora catfish are really cute. They need to be in a school of 6 of their kind, also any of the tetras are schooling and need 6 of the same kind, same for the rasboras. The platty and guppies are not schooling fish so you can get as many or as few as you want. Most of the livebearers are not schooling fish. Male cherry barbs are really pretty and need a school of 6. Tiger barbs are pretty but aggresive and fin nippers. Alison

6. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Hi! I've found guppies to be great beginner fish. I had mine through a fish-in cycle (though this was before I knew anything about fishkeeping so I don't recommend it) and I have found they are hardy IMO. Very colorful, very curious, very friendly and they swim all over the tank. I have a blue tuxedo, yellow/green cobra and fancy guppies. Oh and if you do decide to go w/ guppies, make sure they are all male if you don't want 100's of babies.

7. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Thank you! Good to know about which ones are schooling fish. Did I read that Platys have a high bioload? (Does that mean they would get the tank dirty faster?)

Having baby fish and watching that whole cycle would be a really cool experience for my kids, but I have nooo idea what we would do with all of them. Plus, my kids would be traumatized if some of the babies didn't make it. We will not go that route right now.

Are some fish injected with color or modified somehow? There are some at the grocery store in a black tank and they kind of glow, that doesn't seem natural to me?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  8. Elsi OuztsNew MemberMember

Guppies are really easy to take care of and you can find all sorts of colors and patterns out there.

Goldfish are really messy so I would take that off your list.

Tetras are pretty easy but can nip the fins of other fish.

I personally have a tank that is well stocked with plants. The plants help to keep the tank well balanced. I have 4 guppies (non flashy ones), a male betta, a pictus cat (don't put with fish smaller than guppies, they will eat them) and 2 yoyo loaches to eat my snail infestation.

Try this site to see if fish are generally compatible  . I took some risks with my tank by adding the betta. They can sometimes be aggressive with guppies, mistaking them for bettas.

If you do go for the 29 gallon tank here's some stocking ideas.

5x Male Guppy
    5x Gardneri Killifish  
    3x Yoyo Loach
    4x Panda Corydoras
    2x Dwarf Gourami

All of these fish are peaceful and should get along just fine. The Corydoras will help clean up any uneaten food on the bottom.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  9. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Glofish® are genetically modified with a jellyfish gene which makes them glow, they aren't injected.

10. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Oh my, those Panda Corys are so cute!

11. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Pandas are great little catfish but need cooler water than the other fish that have been mentioned.

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would actually stay away from aqadvisor - it doesn't take into account many factors and can be pretty unreliable for many species.

Also, Yoyo loaches get a little too big for a 29 gal, especially if you keep more than one (4-5 are recommended).

If you're going to keep cories, you need a school of at least 6 of the same species. Pay attention to their temp requirements, as some require warmer or cooler water.

Highly recommend only a single dwarf gourami if you want those. Most chain pet stores or LFS sell males, and two males are not recommended - they will be very aggressive towards each other, and one will likely be killed. If you could find a female, you could do a male and female, but females are less pretty and males do very well on their own.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  13. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Basically in a 29g, it's two schools of 6-8 fish and a centerpiece fish I believe. So you have all bases covered, top, middle and bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

What would go well with the Pandas since they like cooler water?

15. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You can do most tetras or the harlequin rasboras as someone mentioned. They like cooler temps. You can do Kribensis. GBRs are out since they prefer warmer temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. JeffKWell Known MemberMember

I'll add white cloud mountain minnows as a match for the panda cories. White clouds also come in a nice gold color with red fins and they are VERY good beginner fish. At a water temp of 75-76 they'll do great!

17. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

Whats a GBR? And what about guppies with the pandas? I'll look into the white cloud mountain minnows, they sound nice!

ha ha, I guess I figured it out by following the link it created in my post for GBR :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  18. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Guppies have a one year life span. Get something that will last longer. How old are your kids? Get a school of hatchet fish. They are an odd shaped top swimmer that is pretty cool. They are a real eye catcher. You need to have a lid on your tank though because they like to jump out of the water sometimes. Seal every hole on the lid too.

19. junebugFishlore LegendMember

... Guppies live about 2 years, often longer, if they're healthy and well cared for.

20. New Fish in TownWell Known MemberMember

Well they still have a shorter lifespan than a lot of fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice