Good and Bad News.

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I went to the pet store today (Petco..eww, I know) And I was looking at their bettas, feeling aweful. I found one that was really perky, and lively and He just seems to determined to get out of the cup! Frantically swimming around and he just stood out to me, so I picked him up and looked at him, And he gave me this face like "Pppllleease get me outta here!" And I was like.. hmmmmm ok. I can do it! lol So, I bought him. He's a lovely crown tail. Pretty small, actually. Maybe only an inch. He's blue, and purple, and some white. He's marbled and just lovely. However, when I came home after getting him I came upstairs to show Apollo and Helios their new brother, and Apollo had died! :'( :'( I was just watching them last night, too and they seemed absolutely fine! And he was gone this morning..

Good News: I got a new Betta!! (Still to be named I think I'll continue with the gods theme, and I'll take pics in a bit)
Bad News: Apollo's passed on.

I have no idea how he died! I was medicating him for fin rot... maybe he had something else that I couldn't see. I just don't know.

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
That is awful!! So sorry that Apolla has passed. You were lucky to have each other for the time you did, and now you are doing another sweet thing and rescuing another betta from a horrible fate, so remember that. Good Karma will be yours. I know your heart is breaking....Val

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
It's true. My new guy is adorable. I absolutely adore him! I've cleaned out Apollo's tank and that will be my new fish's home. I'll probably put him in tomorrow and take pictures then or in a couple days after he's settled in.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
It's true. My new guy is adorable. I absolutely adore him! I've cleaned out Apollo's tank and that will be my new fish's home. I'll probably put him in tomorrow and take pictures then or in a couple days after he's settled in.
We're really sorry for apollo passing on.. i'm glad he got sent to you - he got cared for & loved and that's what a betta wants. Congrats on the new guy too.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Ugh...

I came home tonight to Helios, now having Finrot.

However, the Vitachem should be coming in tomorrow, so I'll begin treatment on both of them with that. I don't want to medicate. I want to see if the vitachem will help Helios with his tail before it gets worse. It's not bad at all, just a bit shreded. He's grown so much since i've gotten him, probably about half an inch. My new fish is about the size that Helios was when I first got him, if not smaller. Awww my baby boys, I just want them to be happy and healthy.

New fishy is really skittish. I'm assuming it's just all the stress from the little cup, and coming to a new home, and having a person whoactually loves to lookat him, he's probably scared out of his mind! haha He's really very beautiful though and he's becoming more energetic since he's in a bigger space than the cup, I can't wait to see him in the tank! Seeing him eat will be good too.  :-\

Edit: Yay! I'm a full member, now! ;D

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
You know, I was looking through the older posts, and My new fishy looks a lot like nmwierman1977 (Natalie's) RJ. Very, very similar, i'm sure you'll all see it when I get pictures up. <33

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ugh...

I came home tonight to Helios, now having Finrot.

However, the Vitachem should be coming in tomorrow, so I'll begin treatment on both of them with that. I don't want to medicate. I want to see if the vitachem will help Helios with his tail before it gets worse. It's not bad at all, just a bit shreded. He's grown so much since i've gotten him, probably about half an inch. My new fish is about the size that Helios was when I first got him, if not smaller. Awww my baby boys, I just want them to be happy and healthy.

New fishy is really skittish. I'm assuming it's just all the stress from the little cup, and coming to a new home, and having a person whoactually loves to lookat him, he's probably scared out of his mind! haha He's really very beautiful though and he's becoming more energetic since he's in a bigger space than the cup, I can't wait to see him in the tank! Seeing him eat will be good too. :-\

Edit: Yay! I'm a full member, now! ;D
So you're saying you weren't all here before?

The vitachem has done great for natalie & I look forward to getting some too. Good luck with Helios' fins and your new guy.

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Poor Helios....I have decided fin rot is like a plague....hardly anyone here it hasn't hit.

Trying to find a bright spot, for fin rot it is that (so far at least) it doesn't affect their personality - well maybe their ego!! Neptune's tail keeps healing and fraying. The last red on his tail frayed on Sunday, so now I am also just going to keep him on the Vita Chem and clean water and see how it goes. It will be interesting. As I said in Storm's thread, I dreamt Neptune's whole body except head was gone due to finrot, and just his flaring head was swimming around..LOL..bizarre, I know....but he continues to be that feisty!

Good luck with Helios. I haven't been adding the full dose ( 2 drops per gallon) everyday...just about half dose...hopefully somone will read this and advise if we can do full dose daily. Val

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Do you mean the full dose of vitachem? Hmm Yes, that would be useful to know. I should be getting mine sometime today, which i'm extatic about. 

It seems as though Helios is the calm one now, my new fishy is all skittish and will sometimes just relax on the bottom, but shoots around the tank, too. Helios seems all the more graceful now.

FLBettaCouple- You and you're wise cracks... lol Yes, i've always been here. 

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss... :'(...but glad to hear about the new addition to your family. Pretty lucky betta to have you!!

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Mmmmmkay I have a ton of pictures, so i'm going to post one, but then a bunch of links, I went a bit crazy... But I know people like pcitures.

clear.gif

Here's Helios:

Oh, and if a name comes to you for the new fishy, i'm always open to suggestions, i've not named him yet. Though, i'd like to continue with the gods theme.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He's a very handsome Betta! you could name him "pretty boy" after the american god of vanity. how about Pan?

This link might give an inspiration:

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
You know, I was looking through the older posts, and My new fishy looks a lot like nmwierman1977 (Natalie's) RJ. Very, very similar, I'm sure you'll all see it when I get pictures up. <33
Yes, he does look a bit like my RJ. His purple body, with his red tipped fins. RJ's head used to be white, now it's turned kind of yellowish and bit's of purple in it too.
voiceless_kat said:
Poor Helios....I have decided fin rot is like a plague....hardly anyone here it hasn't hit.

Trying to find a bright spot, for fin rot it is that (so far at least) it doesn't affect their personality - well maybe their ego!! Neptune's tail keeps healing and fraying. The last red on his tail frayed on Sunday, so now I am also just going to keep him on the Vita Chem and clean water and see how it goes. It will be interesting. As I said in Storm's thread, I dreamt Neptune's whole body except head was gone due to finrot, and just his flaring head was swimming around..LOL..bizarre, I know....but he continues to be that feisty!

Good luck with Helios. I haven't been adding the full dose ( 2 drops per gallon) everyday...just about half dose...hopefully someone will read this and advise if we can do full dose daily. Val
This is what I've been doing for 2 weeks now because RJ's tail got a bit frayed due to my lack of changing the water on time. This all depends on the size of tank you have too. It's 2 drops per gallon. So, When I do a water change I'll put 10 drops in and since his tail got frayed a bit I started putting half that dose in the tank everyday until it's done growing back. Then I'll go back to every other day just a few drops. I started doing that and almost immediately the fraying came to a halt and there is new growth coming back now. It gets better and better everyday. I never used any meds.

I did the same with my oto cat Barney in the hosp. tank. No meds just the vitachem every day. I put 3 drops in everyday until his tail fully grew back. It took 2 weeks for it to fully grow back and his tail was pretty damaged too. He never got fin rot though because I caught it right away. Hope that helps. Natalie

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Mmmmhmm I think he's just stunning. <333

And he's so tiny! lol Two pellets for him, and he's good for a meal. (Thank God I did get him to eat)

[I'm still waiting for my Vitachem...it was supposed to be here today.... :-[ ]

Hopefully it'll be in tomorrow.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
He is really beautiful! I just love pink Bettas! He looks a lot like my Lava. I used love seeing Lava swim with his beautiful crowntail fluttering behind him. Now he can only float.

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Awww Phlox. Well, at least you've still got his company, he still wants to be with you so that's something, right?

Hehe I used to think that Helios was the energetic one, but compaired to the new fishy, he's really graceful and calm. Guess that happens with a month of age, huh? lol

OP
S

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I'd have to set up an elaborate set of mirrors for him to watch Jaws in my room. Since his ank is neighboring and below he tv.

I don't get it, his tank is growing algea, and there's a mystery snail in there, and the tanks hardly ever get any sunlight. I had the lights on for too long, I think.. but the snail isn't making a meal out of it.

New Threads