Good Algae Eater For 10 Gallon?

hbgreenninja

HI all,

So heres the deal, I’ve noticed quite a bit of brown algae growing in my tank on top of my decor. I’ve started to leave the light on for shorter peroids of time and the tank is not in direct sunlight. Anyway, do y’all know a good algae eater for a tank of my size? I have 1 male betta and 6 ghost shrimp in there now. If I were to add an algae eater would I be overstocked? Should I get rid of the shrimp for an algae eater?

I have a aquaclear 20 filter, adjustable heater, live plants, powerful led light and all that good stuff. Here is a pic:

1C7E710F-2F0D-458C-BC70-086E19FAA29C.jpeg

Sarah73

The greatest brown algae eaters are SAE, but they get wayyyyy bigger. You just need to make sure you don't have left over food.

Discus-Tang

Amano shrimp. You'd be much better off cleaning it yourself.

Fanatic

I would suggest a nerite snail, or amano shrimp for your tank size.

hbgreenninja

I would suggest a nerite snail, or amano shrimp for your tank size.
How many amanos should I get? Like I said I already have 6 ghosties and a male betta. Would 6 be good or less?

BottomDweller

I think 3-6 amanos would be good.

smee82

I wouldnt add amano shrimp, they will probably end up as an expensive betta snack. Brown algae or diatoms will eventually go away on their own but if you want something for algae I would add a couple of nerites but you will still have to feed them.

BottomDweller

I wouldnt add amano shrimp, they will probably end up as an expensive betta snack. Brown algae or diatoms will eventually go away on their own but if you want something for algae I would add a couple of nerites but you will still have to feed them.
If the betta is fine with ghost shrimp it will almost certainly be fine with amanos, they get bigger than ghosts. Amanos are the best shrimp to keep with bettas imo since they get nearly as big as bettas themselves. They are not brightly coloured so not as easy for bettas to spot as a red cherry shrimp or something.

smee82

If the betta is fine with ghost shrimp it will almost certainly be fine with amanos, they get bigger than ghosts. Amanos are the best shrimp to keep with bettas imo since they get nearly as big as bettas themselves. They are not brightly coloured so not as easy for bettas to spot as a red cherry shrimp or something.

Its still not something I would risk. If it realizes it can eat shrimp it their size doesn't really matter much. My CPDs will kill and eat adult wild neos that are as big or slightly bigger then them.

hbgreenninja

My Betta sometimes nips at the ghost shrimp. I read the amanos get 1.5 inches long, and I have some ghosties that are almost 2 inches, so i’m not sure why you say they get bigger but I guess it just depends on the shrimp.

BottomDweller

My amanos vary in size but most are around 2 inches. I guess it depends on the individual shrimp but I've never seen a 2 inch ghost.

NYFishGuy

I have 3 oto's 6 amano, at least 3 baby ghost shrimp (surprise to me) and 2 nerite's as the clean up crew in my 10G
Oto's really clean plants well.

This is before and after 2 hours of cleaning

otobefore.jpg

oto-after.jpg

kanzekatores

I personally like catfish better than inverts as my clean up crew so I would say oto catfish. I’m not sure if they would fit but I think they would (?) also I don’t know about the compatibility with the betta.
Also Nerite snails are awesome algae eaters, so that would be a good option too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mick Frost
Replies
Views
Catbumsy
Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views