10 Gallon Tank Good, Adjustable Heater?

OldeOne

Hello! So, I've got this spiffy little 10 gallon aquarium. I have a 10W Aqueon submersible heater from my first tiny aquarium. It is neat, but has no way to adjust it. Due to varying temperatures during this change of seasons, I am finding that I require something a bit better.

What I WANT is a heater with it's own thermostat, fully adjustable. I want it to also have a thermometer. I will, of course, keep my separate thermometer, because I never fully trust technology. XD It is VERY important to have a heater that will TURN OFF at a certain temperature.

I would also like some silly rule of thumb for wattage versus gallonage. Gallonage? It ought be a word, certainly. Alas, it is not.

So, yeah! Heaters! Woo! Let 'er rip!

Rivieraneo

5 Watts per Gallon works for most set ups, it really depends on temperature split between room temp and desired tank temp. How much do you want to spend ? Aqueon Pro's, Via Aqua Titanium and Finnex Titanium heaters work great!

OldeOne

So Aqueon is a good brand. Good to know!

I have a HOB filter, Tetra Whisper 30. The thing is a beast! (I have customized it, just a bit! )

I might take a trip to Petsmart, tomorrow. If they don't have anything good, I will grudgingly visit the LFS on Saturday.

petaddiction

Is your LFS bad?

xx

Rivieraneo

So Aqueon is a good brand. Good to know!

I have a HOB filter, Tetra Whisper 30. The thing is a beast! (I have customized it, just a bit! )

I might take a trip to Petsmart, tomorrow. If they don't have anything good, I will grudgingly visit the LFS on Saturday.

I can't speak for the regular Aqueon heaters, but the Aqueon Pro's are great! You can find them cheapest online.

OldeOne

petaddiction
My LFS has friendly staff who can't agree on advice. I can get around that, no problem. The owner, on the other hand, is a class-A JERK.

petaddiction

Awh I'm sorry about that.
There's only one LFS close by and it's a dump so I go to petsmart. My petsmart is pretty decent, only drawback is the variety of stock. Sigh I wish I could find some habrosus corydoras already.

xx

junebug

I actually really have been liking the "cheap" adjustable thermostat heaters you find on ebay. Like in the eshopps department. They are dirt cheap, well made, and come in a variety of wattages and sizes.

Technically for a 10 gallon tank, you want approximately a 50watt heater. 5 watts per gallon is the accepted standard for tank heaters. You can fudge a bit one way or the other for an odd-gallonage tank (for instance I still use a 50 watt in my 8 gallon tank) but in order to maintain stable temps, you want something a bit more suited to your tank.

OldeOne

I got an Aqueon 50W adjustable heater, last night. Yay!

Sent from my Z796C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

petaddiction

good! where did you get it from?

xx

OldeOne

Petsmart. They have a 60 day return policy for non-living stuff.

It was like $35. I could probably have found it cheaper online, but shipping prices and return policies being what they are....

bowen747x

It was like $35. I could probably have found it cheaper online, but shipping prices and return policies being what they are....

there are several Aqueon 50W under $20-$25 on amazon and that includes free shipping, I don't know what problems you have with returning items amazon is extremely customer friendly ime... the only benefit you got from petco was that you got it sooner

OldeOne

Well I got taken. But at least it is working and my fish are happier!

sliderdkp

Do the aqueon pro heaters really work better than regular aqueon heaters? My heater consistently heats my tank water up to 4-5 degrees warmer than the thermostat setting. I need a new one fast.

sliderdkp

Ended up with 75 watt Eheim.
Will post back to tell overall workings!

sliderdkp

So far, my aquarium temp is 80 degrees. Heater set at 76 and the heat on light keeps coming on. Help?

sliderdkp

It may be working now. If I could rewrite those instructions...

Rivieraneo

Most heaters advice to allow the heater to run 24hrs before calibrating final temp.

sliderdkp

Thanks Rivieraneo!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Diane 007
  • Mattjames