Good 15 Gallon Tank Fish Combinations

Goroos

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 15 gallon tank that has had the nitrogen cycle going on it for a month and I need to decide what fish to put in it and how many. It has a heater and a p.h in between 7.0 and 7.5.
I was thinking of putting in
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Neon tetras
6 Rummynose Tetras

Is this too much or are there any better recommendations to stock my 15 gallon tank.
Thanks for future answers and please help?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's pretty overstocked and all the fish really use the same area. What are the dimensions of the tank? If I remember correctly that tank doesn't have a large footprint. I'd probably stick to 1 DG, 6 neon tetras, and some shrimp and maybe a netirte snail

Goroos

Reaction score
The dimensions are 58.5, 32, 38.5 in centimetres

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Remember not to add all your fish at once.. let the bioload build up for a week or two between additions when your water perimeters are stable.
Does your tank have a filter? A sponge filter is good to start with. Even better a HOB filter and sponge!

Goroos

Reaction score
Just one last question,
Would I be able to put in some bottom feeders that would be fine with the other fish? I was looking at Pygmy corydoras and panda corydoras but I wasn’t sure about space or if this is the right size tank for them. Thanks for your help.
P.S The corydpras would be instead of srimp and snail but if I can’t get them the shrimp and snail will be my go to,

Rocco04

Reaction score
Just one last question,
Would I be able to put in some bottom feeders that would be fine with the other fish? I was looking at Pygmy corydoras and panda corydoras but I wasn’t sure about space or if this is the right size tank for them. Thanks for your help.
P.S The corydpras would be instead of srimp and snail but if I can’t get them the shrimp and snail will be my go to,
If you get pigmy Cory’s id say get atleast 4 of them. But you should totally look into khuli loaches. I have 3 ( they like to be in groups) and they’re literally like puppies. When I put my hand in the big one comes to the top to let me pet him / he nibbles on my finger lol

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pygmy cories aren't bottom feeders, oddly they spend their time in the mid-top levels. I'd say you could do 6-8 panda cories, yes. 3-4 is not enough.

Goroos

Reaction score
W
Pygmy cories aren't bottom feeders, oddly they spend their time in the mid-top levels. I'd say you could do 6-8 panda cories, yes. 3-4 is not enough.
Would that much be alright for my 15 gallon tank and my other fish or will it be overstocked

Goroos

Reaction score
If you get pigmy Cory’s id say get atleast 4 of them. But you should totally look into khuli loaches. I have 3 ( they like to be in groups) and they’re literally like puppies. When I put my hand in the big one comes to the top to let me pet him / he nibbles on my finger lol
Would Khufu loaches got in my 15 gallon with my other fish or do they need a bigger tank

Rocco04

Reaction score
Would Khufu loaches got in my 15 gallon with my other fish or do they need a bigger tank
If your 15 gallon isn’t a high variation of the tank, you should be perfectly fine adding 3-4 khuli Loaches as long as you have a lot of hiding places and little areas for them to squeeze in to. Also you should note they’re nocturnal but after they get you use to you, they’ll come out in the day and during feeding time

Goroos

Reaction score
If your 15 gallon isn’t a high variation of the tank, you should be perfectly fine adding 3-4 khuli Loaches as long as you have a lot of hiding places and little areas for them to squeeze in to. Also you should note they’re nocturnal but after they get you use to you, they’ll come out in the day and during feeding time
The dimensions of my tank are 23, 12.5 and 15 inches (l, d, h)

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kuhlis also should be in larger groups than that. At least 6 in a group.
I'd say yes, you can do 6-8 of the cories or loaches without being overstocked.

Top Bottom